Aphrodite’s Advice: 4 Alternatives to Arguing with Your Significant Other

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Dating can be rough, especially in college.  Spending a lot of time with another person can bring conflict. Disagreeing is never a fun experience, but here are some ways to make it better:

1. Take time and space for yourself, if you need it

Sometimes trying to resolve the situation right after the conflict has happened contributes more to the fracture than it does to a possible solution.  If you know that sitting down with your S.O. and talking it out isn’t smart at the moment, or you know it won’t be productive – take a break. Give it a few hours or even a day. After some introspection, you both will realize the pressing issues you need to address and can do so in a calm fashion.

2. Don’t stress the little things

As college students, especially here at Wake Forest, we are extremely busy. If the cause of your aggravation is due to time constraints, evaluate whether or not it’s in your or your S.O.’s control to fix, or if outside influences are at play. Not everything is worth addressing – learning how to pick your battles is key to a long lasting relationship, whether platonic or romantic.

3. Vent to a friend

There will be a time where you need to vent to an impartial third party. Best friends, siblings, mentors, and parents are all great choices to turn to if you need to talk. Talking to a friend is a safe way to rehash everything that upset you to a neutral party. You’ll feel so much better, and it could help you realize that it wasn’t such a big deal in the first place.

4. Remember that you really care for your S.O.

Sometimes it’s easy to forget the reasons why you’re with your partner. Even though you’re angry or unhappy, remember all the good times. What is it that keeps you coming back to your partner? Is it his or her intelligence, amazing personality, or beautiful eyes? Remember what drives you to spend time with your special someone. It will help you keep your feelings and the argument from going out of control.

Mia Wilson

Wake Forest

Mia Wilson is a senior English and French double major at Wake Forest University. When not in class or studying frantically, she enjoys working out in the gym, catching up on the latest fashion trends and napping. Her hobbies include traveling, her Maltese Nahla and drinking Starbucks. Catch her on Instagram @mwilson__14
Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus