The 10 Stages of Visiting Your Home Friend at their School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

1. Initial Excitement- You haven’t seen your best friend since summer or fall break, so naturally you have a ton of news to update each other on. 

2. Meeting their college friends- You may feel particularly protective over your friend if you’ve known them for all of high school or almost their entire lives and thus feel the need to test and see how much their new college friends really know about them. But soon enough, you’ll learn to love them as much as your friend does. 

3. Exploring a new college environment- Being in a different college than your own can feel a little uncomfortable because you know you are out of place and don’t known your way around like you do at your own school. But as long as your BFF is by your side, you know you’ll be able to fit right in, even if it just for a few days. 

4. Checking out the academic and social scene- At this point you may be asking your friend, “So this is where your dreaded 8am is?” or, “Oh that’s the place you hang out every Friday night?” 

5. Comparing your college to theirs- As you explore this new campus with your friend, you can’t help but view their college in relation to your own. 

6. Eating at their dining hall or near-by restaurant- Conclusion: Dining hall food is universally terrible across all college campuses. 

7. Roaming around their college town- Your friend suddenly transforms into a tour guide as they show you around their college town or city, pointing out the best restaurants, coffee shops, and study spots. 

8. Hitting up the social scene with them- This is freshman orientation all over again as your friend introduces you to all of their classmates and peers. You try your hardest to remember their names but you just can’t distinguish between the 20 Sarah’s and Jack’s you’ve just met. 

9. Sleeping on the floor or an air mattress- College means tight living spaces so your friend scrambles to find an extra bed for you to sleep on but you ultimately end up on the ground or on their hall mate’s air mattress. 

10. Final goodbye- You give each other a tight goodbye hug but you aren’t too sad because you know you’ll be back with them in a few weeks for Thanksgiving and Winter Break. 

Photos courtesy of:

giphy.com/embed/U2sRHJWyehtPq 

giphy.com/embed/l13Rk3JZpGwSc

giphy.com/embed/qXexawbjsqK88

giphy.com/embed/10LIXldN8SEg7K

giphy.com/embed/3o7ZeGsRxRVja7UwZa

giphy.com/embed/l0MYzxkg0o1tkGSaI

giphy.com/embed/ZXGUoaHSM2F1K

giphy.com/embed/fmT4vJRi9q2A0

giphy.com/embed/3o85xFGjUBlUw4XEek

giphy.com/embed/56nUBrLojGWcg

Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board. 
Betsy Mann

Wake Forest