10 Facts About Lizzo That Make Her Even More of an ICON
- Just took a DNA test turns out I’m 100% knowledgeable about Lizzo’s life story
- When she was 14, she began her rapping career with a group called Cornrow Clique. (What were you doing when you were 14??)
- Her first album, Lizzobangers, came out in 2013. (So no, you’re not cool for knowing all the words to “Good As Hell” before all your friends did.)
- In fact, “Good As Hell” came out in October of 2016. (Where were you? Where was I?)
- Lizzo’s real name is Melissa Jefferson. And she’s from Minneapolis. Change your name and move to LA and anything is possible.
- Lizzo studied classical flute performance at the University of Houston… because, of course she did. (BONUS FACT: she’s been playing since she was 10.)
- The songs on Cuz I Love You are all inspired by the summer Lizzo began therapy—and she works through her struggles on serious bops like “Cuz I Love You,” “Crybaby,” and “Jerome.”
- She has described her music as “church with a twerk” which seems… inexplicably accurate.
- Lizzo played the piccolo in marching bands from middle school to college. She told NPR that she “was the baddest piccolo in the land, cuz [she] got big lungs.”
- She’s 31 and an expert at meme culture. (Just Google “Lizzo Flute and Shoot.” Do it.)
- Lizzo inspires so many people with her openness. Once she tweeted to a fan struggling with self-esteem that “Loving yourself doesn’t happen over night.. self-hate is years of internalized programming from external influences… sometimes self-hate is a chemical & effects ya mentally/emotionally.. give your growth time—it took me 10 years and I’m still not 100% there.”
Butler, Bethonie. “How Lizzo Went from Underground Phenom to Rising Pop Star.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 24 Apr. 2019, https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2019/04/24/how-lizzo-w….
Phares, Heather. “Lizzo: Biography & History.” AllMusic, https://www.allmusic.com/artist/lizzo-mn0003167672/biography.
Spanos, Brittany. “How Lizzo Conquered Her Fears and Found Her Best Self.” Rolling Stone, 19 Apr. 2019, https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/lizzo-cuz-i-love-you-i….
Staff, NPR. “Marching Flute And Fantasy Fiction: The Education Of Lizzo.” NPR, NPR, 4 Dec. 2016, https://www.npr.org/2016/12/04/504175578/marching-flute-and-fantasy-fict….