alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VUU chapter.

Hello guys! As always, I hope everyone’s week is going great! I had an interaction a little while ago with a fellow RA that I would like to share with you all because I think it’s a message that many of you need to hear.

So we were in a team meeting talking about programs and how the building is doing as a whole and the meeting started coming to a close.Two of us had nothing to do after the meeting so we lingered in my Hall Director’s office. We were talking about school, life, and such and she said jokingly “man I just need a pep talk right now.” So I looked at her and in all seriousness said, “You’re a Black woman in today’s day and age. You’re alive, well, and sane. You’re doing great.” I honestly don’t know if she took me 100% serious because the tone of the conversation was very light and comical but I hope she did. As a Black women we fight battles against sexism and racism not only from people of other ethnic communities, but also within the Black community. Malcolm X one said, “The most disrespected person in America is the black woman. The most unprotected person in America is the black woman. The most neglected person in America is the black woman.” Unfortunately those words are still true. I am not by any means saying that we are the only group that has issues and struggles. I know for a fact that we are not and I empathize with other groups of people that are struggling with life and current circumstances. The thing is while I do have empathy for other groups of people, I can only speak for Black women with my whole heart because I live it everyday and I watch all my close friends live it as well. 

I was on Tumblr the other day and there was a post that said, “WHAT IF: Black women with ALL their “Degree’s” and “High Paying Jobs” Actually started HELPING BLACK PEOPLE? Instead of: Going on Vacation Trips, Buying Weave, Buying expensive cars, Buying expensive clothes, Buying Houses.” FIRST OF ALL, the apostrophe ‘s’ after degree is incorrectly placed. That is not how you make a singular noun plural. So, in addition to doing whatever the hell I want with the degree that I have EARNED, I will be correcting the grammar in ignorant statements like this because if you MUST come for the success of Black Women the very least you could do is be grammatically correct. Now that that part is out of the way, this statement bothered me at first because all I could think was “dang, even when we’re doing good for ourselves people are still mad.” But then, I just had to laugh because there is someone out there that is miserable enough to sit and bash the well earned and deserved success of an entire group of people (rather than learn basic grammar). Not to mention, I just couldn’t help but realize that if Black Women were collectively “doing bad”, people would criticize us and even when we’re doing really well we get criticized . So as far as I’m concerned that means that our existence threatens people, enrages them even, which says to me that we must be doing SOMETHING (everything) right. Right?…RIGHT.

It is not easy being criticized and looked down on for things that you can’t help and things that you can’t change. (Side note: As hard as it gets I would never in life want to change the fact that I am a Black Women. My mere existence speaks volumes and I love that.) I firmly believe that it takes nothing but strength to be who we are, be unapologetic about it, and stay true to ourselves. So keep being you, Black girl, Black woman, Black transgender, Black lady, Black badass! There is an undeniable strength that sits in our bones, perseverance that rushes through our veins and determination that burns in our hearts and minds. Keep on living your life and eliminate anyone and anything that EVER makes you feel like you need to apologize for it. I Love Y’all!!!

Leah Reid is a 21 year old writer from Mount Vernon, New York. Currently a Junior majoring in English, Leah has always possessed striking passion for language & writing. Leah considers herself a wordsmith and has written a myriad of poems, some of which she has presented to her colleagues at Virginia Union. Leah has sanguine aspirations of becoming a contributor for a magazine designed to instill confidence and consciousness in African American women. Receiving most of her motivation from poet Alysia Harris, Ms. Darlene Scott , and an inner desire to vividly express herself through writing. In her spare time, Leah writes poetry and reads a varied collection of books, with the hopes of publishing works of her own. Leah utilizes writing as a way to allow her mind and spirit to coalesce and communicate with the world. Leah.L.Reid@gmail.com Prideandprestige.blogspot.com