Style > Fashion

Your Guide to Navigating Shopping Second-Hand Online

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Love thrifting? Love online shopping? Then what’s stopping you from buying secondhand online? Virtual thrifting is a great way to get something unique, sustainable and inexpensive. Some of my favorite pieces – like the dreamiest pair of embroidered cargo pants – were bought second-hand online. I’m always recommending online thrifting to my friends, but I typically hear objections. “Where do you start? How can you tell the clothes will fit? How do you find good quality stuff without getting ripped off?”

Navigating reselling websites can be tricky. After years of being an online thrifter, I’m a self-proclaimed expert. Here are some tips to get you started on your second-hand style journey.

Choosing a Site: 

Know what site works for you. There is a multitude of different websites for buying second-hand clothes, and each has a different market.

On Depop I’ve found the least success.  It’s faster to find trendy clothes on the site, but you’re much more likely to get scammed. The sellers on Depop are typically buying low from their local thrift, and reselling for a higher price. By learning the tricks of the trade, you can cut out the middleman and find trendy clothes for cheap all by yourself. Plus, do you really want to pay $60 for a kids graphic tee that’s “SO y2k”?

Poshmark and ThredUp are great places to find high quality pieces. Here you’ll find lots of name brands. Expect a higher price tag and less willingness for negotiation. It’s also a bit more difficult to navigate search.

In my opinion, Ebay is the optimal place for online shopping secondhand. The search is easy to navigate. Many of the people on the site don’t realize that what they are selling is in demand, so prices are lower. It is however the most popular reselling site, so there’s lots of low quality items and scams. Searching the site is overwhelming at first, but if you utilize the search tips below it shouldn’t be a problem.

Navigating an eBay Search:

Use search terms and be as specific as possible to root through the garbage. I like to start with a preliminary search round. If I’m looking for jeans, I’ll specify things I like. Adding key terms in the advanced search section, “bell bottoms, mid rise, bejeweled pockets” etc, can narrow things down.

When you don’t know what you’re looking for, try some buzzwords to find brands you like. Think about things you already own and search for their characteristics. Cable knit sweaters, blouses with bows. While you’re doing this, don’t input size. Remember, you’re just looking for brands right now. Adding no size will give you a wider range of results. If you see something that looks like your style, like it. Later, you can go back to your likes and search again using the brands of what you found.  Add these brands to your saved searches—with your size preferences—and they’ll be updating daily. Now you have a plethora of potential new-old clothes!

If this seems like a lot of work, there are other ways to personalize your eBay feed. Find clothes you like in person, and record the brands on their tags—whether you actually buy them or not. Later you can add these brands to your saved searches online. You can also take advantage of saved sellers. If someone is selling something you like, odds are there’s more in their collection, so save their profile. 

Tips for Purchasing:

So now you’ve fixed your eBay feed, but don’t click the add to cart button just yet. You want to ensure you’re getting the highest quality, best fitting, lowest priced items you can. 

WHAT SIZE IS IT?

Check the measurements of the items and compare them to your own measurements. This is especially important with vintage/retro items, as sizing has changed over the years. If measurements aren’t included, reach out to the seller. Their willingness to cooperate will also be an indicator of what you’re getting. A friendly seller who wants to help is always a good sign. 

UNDERSTANDING SELLER OFFERS

Be aware of seller offers. Sellers typically make offers to generate interest. These are first come first serve, and for a limited time. Be prompt but not too hasty. Make sure you weigh your options and try to counteroffer. If you have the option to make an offer, always take it instead of purchasing an item outright. Even an extra dollar off can go a long way. Also be aware of shipping costs, as some sellers will entice you with a low price, only to have high shipping fees. Always check if the price has changed when you add your item to your cart.

scam sellers

Be wary of scam sellers. Importers have infiltrated sites like eBay. These sellers bulk buy fast fashion and sell it on the site claiming to be “vintage” or secondhand. If the thumbnail for the item is a professional photo and comes in a variety of different colors and sizes, it’s probably a piece of fast fashion. You can avoid these by specifying the condition of your items as “used and new without tags”.

WHAT TO AVOID

Avoid sellers who put buzzwords like y2k in the description. Sounds simple but it’s true. What they’re selling is probably worth a lot less than they say.

Now that you know the tricks of the trade, you can navigate online thrifting like a boss. Happy shopping.

Allie McBride

Virginia Tech '26

Hi! I'm Allie from northern VA, and I'm an English major. I love baking, playing video games, and talking about the latest TV show I'm obsessed with. I love to dance and I'm always down for some arts and crafts.