This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

As college students, money can be tight and with the holidays around the corner, it can be difficult to buy and gift presents on a strapped budget. When you want to do something meaningful for someone but don’t necessarily have the funds to buy loads of gifts, making personalized gifts is the way to go. Here are some of my favorite ideas for homemade presents that you can do before the holidays.

Annotated Books

A new gift idea that my friends and I exchanged this year is annotating our favorite books for each other. Either choose your favorite book or their favorite book — or even one neither have you have read — and fill it with notes. It’s almost like giving each other a personal journal, and it’s a very meaningful gift since you’re sharing all of your ideas and opinions to each other through a book.

Knit Or Crochet Something

If you have the talent of being able to knit or crochet — I unfortunately do not, but I’m trying to learn for this very reason — knitting or crocheting gifts is the perfect idea. Each piece you make is unique and custom to whoever you are giving it to, so it’s a great way to create a one-of-a-kind gift.

Homemade Jewelry

Homemade jewelry is such a fun present since you can actually see the person wearing what you made. Plus, unique statement pieces of jewelry are always an accessory staple. Many crafts stores have basic jewelry-making sets that help you get the process started. Items like dangly earrings and beaded necklaces are fairly easy to put together, and they’re great to give as a homemade gift.

Screen Shot 2021 11 22 at 35032 PM
Amazon.com
Pottery

No need for a pottery wheel — just get a tub of air dry clay and start sculpting. Making pottery can be a very crafty and artistic way to show your appreciation for someone. From simple items like coasters and jewelry holders to more complex ones like earrings or figurines, gifting these pieces is terrific since they’re functional, personal, and super cute.

Baked Goods And Treats

Baking or cooking something as a gift is the perfect way to harness your skills in the kitchen as well as to give a fun and tasty present. Even if your baking skills aren’t to the level of The Great British Baking Show, there are so many easy recipes and box mixes — using the box mix can be a secret, though — to make baking simple. One of my favorite recipes that I learned from my mom and love to give out is chocolate bark since it’s so easy to make and you can personalize it to the person you’re giving it to.

bark?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Photo courtesy of Food Network Kitchen

While this may not be a comprehensive list of all homemade presents, these are my five favorite tried-and-true gifts that I’ve made and given throughout the holiday season. The big takeaway is that homemade gifts are fairly inexpensive, so you don’t have to break the bank, but they’re also a way more personalized and special gift to give than anything that could come from a store. Play to your strengths in what you’re good at and like to do in terms of being creative and making gifts, and you’ll go very far in giving presents that people will never forget.

Sylvia Mack

Virginia Tech '24

Sylvia is a senior at Virginia Tech studying Communication with a double minor in Sociology and Event and Experience Management.