Women are NOT Objects

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

The crazy thing about being a woman is the fact that I have eyes. Unfortunately, having eyes is not unique to being a woman, but sometimes I think that men (oh, men) forget we women share this facial characteristic. When I am talking to you, and you are staring at my knockers I can see that. It’s true, because when my lovely greens look to meet your * insert color * eyes, and ta-da they are nowhere to be found, it gives me a minor heads up.  Oh wait, I’ve found them, yes there they are! Hovering south of my neck, and due north of my bellybutton (a little less north than I’d like, but what’re you going to do, right ladies?). First of all, he’s definitely not listening to jack diddly that I’m saying. Second off, is he really daft enough to think that a casual sneak peak is going to elude me? Third off, I probably should have worn the mushin’ squishin’ push-up today if I wanted the free fries AND the free drink. Free fries will have to do—Thanks creeper.

Ladies, we all can relate to men not taking us seriously for some reason or another. Whether you have obnoxiously large boobies (my problem), or you have some lovely lady lumps elsewhere, or maybe you’re just really pretty…curvy…it doesn’t matter. Men are going to google and gawk and guffaw as though we, women, are blind as bats. This can be funny in the right context, and can get you free things if you know how to play it, but it can also be incredibly derogatory and f#@k!n*g annoying. Lay off the schmoozing, and listen to what I’m saying, Sir. I am a strong independent woman, and I should be taken just as seriously as you, if not more so due to your incessant need to be an immature boy seemingly stuck in middle school. I don’t walk around staring at your d!ck, although I wish I could, just for a day, so they’d understand how annoying it is. How do you think it feels to be analyzed outright by total strangers? Collegiette™ ladies I know you know what I’m talking about, and Collegiate men wise-up.

The source of this ogling comes from generations (decades, centuries, hell, all of history) of men who have ruled society through patriarchal eyes. Their eyes are all seeing and all knowing, apparently. Men seem to think they’ve got it right. However, they don’t have it right, exactly. They’re missing the teeny-weeny (pun intended, men) point where women are equals. Guess what—We have testosterone too. An incredible amount of sexism still takes place on American college campuses everyday, and I would love to see that squelched. Why don’t we take our eyes off the lady lumps, and concentrate on fixing a skewed society standard? Women wear your heads high, and men keep your eyes up. We have an interesting future ahead of us, and you wouldn’t want to miss anything looking for a nip slip that won’t happen.

Sources taken from:

http://ty-my-thoughts.blogspot.com/2011/04/staring-at-breast-is-healthy….
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jul/30/casual-sexism-misogyny
http://www.conmed.com/images/sittin%20on%20top%20of%20the%20world%20.jpg

Laura Baugh

Virginia Tech

Laura Baugh is a senior at Virginia Tech where she is double majoring in Communications and Film. When not busy with school, Laura enjoys editing film and video, being the general manager at VTTV, spending time with her amazing sisters in Gamma Phi Beta, playing her guitar, and reading Her Campus! She is also obsessed with her school's athletics. Go Hokies!