Why you Should be Journaling in 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I’ve always wanted to be a writer, basically since the day I figured out that I was supposed to pick a career that I would pursue for the rest of my life. It was my first passion, my first love, and my first hobby. I can clearly remember filling pages and pages in my notebooks with stories, poems, song lyrics…anything I wanted, really. Somewhere in that time, I decided to take up writing in a journal, and I’ve stuck with it ever since. If you have never written in a journal before, here are some of the reasons why you should be starting the habit in 2019.

For starters, journaling is a major stress relief. When I write in my journal, I usually do it at night before I go to sleep. Whenever something is weighing really heavy on my mind, I can always count on writing in my journal to make me feel better. Even if I can’t find the words to express what I’m feeling out loud to people, writing it down on paper still gives me the feeling that I have at least somewhat dealt with whatever it is that’s bothering me.

Besides this, writing is a form of creative expression. It’s always good to use your mind to form original thoughts and put them down on to paper. With today’s use of technology, we often forget how important it can be to sit down and write something by hand, feeling the way a pen moves across paper. Many famous writers refuse to type anything until they have written a hard copy down first, simply because of the way it makes them feel.

Besides this, writing in a journal can help you keep a record of your most precious memories and give you something to look back on.

It may be difficult to find time to write in your journal every day, but just try to take a few minutes off from scrolling through your Twitter feed at night and consider writing in a journal for about ten minutes. It’ll make you feel better, and it’s something to look back on when you need to remember all the good memories you’re sure to make this new year!

All GIFs from giphy.com

Corinne Gorda

Virginia Tech '20

Proud Hokie alum and HC writer since 2017 here! I "graduated" from Tech in 2020 (Thanks COVID) with a degree in Public Relations, and I'm now a junior account executive for a PR agency. When I'm not working or writing, you can catch me spending time with my man, reading teen romance novels, or obsessing over my corgi.