This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

For years now, I have loved the NBA and everything surrounding it. Yes, basketball is my favorite sport to watch, but there’s also something special about the league. There’s something about this league that will, without fail, top every other professional sport out there. From the thrilling atmosphere of the games to how impactful the league has been through the years, I love it all. Here are some reasons why. 

The Game

I loved the NBA before I ever attended a game, but my love became infinite once I experienced the show. If you ever get the chance to attend a game, take it immediately. These games are filled with entertainment the entire time. Usually an NBA game will last around two and a half hours. When the actual game isn’t in session, there are unique acts and marketing games to entertain. The teams will come out and fire is shooting out of the tunnel while music plays. Each team has their own fun traditions during games. Even if you’re not a die-hard fan, you can come and enjoy the show and have just as much fun. 

The Stars

All 30 NBA teams have stars that fans would do just about anything to see live. Whether you’re watching your TV at home or sitting courtside at the big game, these stars are mesmerizing. Many interact with fans and will wave or sign merchandise if they get the chance. The stars really are what make the games, as they are the prime entertainment. Even if you don’t see your favorite player, there’s a good chance that some of your favorite celebrities are in the crowd as well. These people only make the game even more enjoyable

It’s Importance

The NBA has been a leading example for other professional sports for a while now. Now, more than ever, the league is paving the way for societal change on and off the court. Adam Silver, the commissioner of the NBA, has done a gracious job at continuing the league’s wishes to make a genuine change. Especially during June 2020 and because of the impact of the Black Lives Matter movement, the league was quick to support social justice campaigns and show their support. Not long after, the league formed the “Social Justice Coalition.” This coalition includes a combination of owners, coaches, players, and executives who joined together to promote policies with their platform. Some of these include voter rights, gun control, reproductive rights, and police reform. For years now, the NBA has had goals for societal change way beyond what other professional sports have in mind. 

It’s Legacy

Since 1946, the NBA has continued a rich tradition of the game loved by many. The league has made some of the greatest athletes to exist. Just to name a few: Bill Russell, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and, of course, Michael Jordan. A few decades later, new superstars were born, including Shaquille O’Neill, Kobe Bryant, and Lebron James. Now you can turn your TV on and watch Steph Curry, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and Kevin Durant tear up the court. For as long as its existence, this league has given these players a platform to shine as brightly as they can. Along the way, the league has implemented various rules to perfect the game. Some notable changes were the introduction of the shot clock and the famous three-point shot. These modifications have become a vital part of the game and why it’s so beloved. 

Allera Bee

Virginia Tech '26

My name is Allera (Ally) Bee and I am a student at Virginia Tech. I am from Cincinnati, Ohio and I am studying multimedia journalism.