Why I Joined Her Campus – Ashleigh’s Story

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I joined Her Campus VT my sophomore year at Tech. It was one of my worst years dealing with school and medical issues and a relationship that was seemingly falling to pieces in front of my eyes. I spent my first semester running from office to office trying to figure out how I could make it without failing all of my classes or possibly losing my financial aid. I was struggling to find anything that would give me an outlet to express myself.

I had started Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) in October of 2016 and it saved me. I was at such a low point that I did not know how I was going to put my life back together. In doing therapy I had to challenge myself to put myself out there and do the things I love regardless of how scared I was. So when I saw that applications were out for Her Campus writers I jumped on the opportunity, and though I was filled with anxieties and fears I felt a twinge of excitement in my heart.

I’ve always been a writer. It’s something that comes as naturally to me as my ability to make people fall in love. I love writing about things that others don’t think are important or are too provocative. When I found out that I was going to be able to write for Her Campus VT and that I was going to have creative freedom over what I wrote, I could not contain the sense of pure joy that I felt.

Joining Her Campus VT was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I am doing something I love with the most amazing group of young women. Our Galentine’s Day event was the first I attended and it really showed me how much everyone enjoyed being around each other, and how so many different people could come together and make up a group of fun and caring women. I am amazed at how much these ladies have influenced my life and I could not ask for a better group of friends. I love what I do and I love who I do it with–my friends are something I will always cherish.

Ashleigh Griffin

Virginia Tech '19

Ashleigh is a graduate from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.  She received a Bachelor's of Science in Food Science and Technology. Her future career will hopefully combine both her knowledge of the food industry and the importance of marketing and brand management. 
Chera Longfritz

Virginia Tech

Just a funky lil girl trying to put my thoughts into relatable words!!! I've had the dream of being Anne Hathaway's character in Devil Wears Prada since I was like three. Maybe without being someone's bitch, but you know, everyone has to start somewhere.