This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

For a lot of my life, I didn’t give the idea of thrift shopping a second thought. Thrifted clothing seemed like it wasn’t as “cool” as ones from the mall and I was scared of what people would think of me if I went to thrift stores. It wasn’t until I realized the clothes you buy and wear should be based on what makes you feel good, and not on what is trendy or popular, that my individual sense of style developed. As I began to worry less about what other people were wearing or thinking, thrifted clothes quickly became a prominent part of my closet.

Here are a few reasons why I fell in love with thrift shopping:

1. It’s a unique shopping experience

Cam Morin via Unsplash

My go-to for a girls day is heading to a thrift store. Unlike in traditional clothing stores, I could spend hours searching through the clothes in a thrift store. There’s something about looking through racks of mismatched t-shirts and pullovers, hoping you’ll stumble across that perfect piece, that makes time fly by.

2. It’s sustainable

sign that has the earth on it that says "one world"
Photo by Markus Spiske from Pexels

Thrifting some of your wardrobe is a great way to live more sustainably. The rise of “fast fashion” and mass produced clothes in factories have contributed greatly to industrial pollution. If you’re passionate about protecting our planet, “vote with your dollar” and support your local thrift stores!

3. You find the best pieces

3 sweaters on white chair
Photo by rocknwool from Unsplash

With thrifting, you never know what you’re going to find. There’s no better feeling than going into a thrift store, not expecting much, and coming out with some amazing purchases. Many of my favorite sweaters and t-shirts came from an impromptu trip to the thrift store.

4. Your wallet will thank you

HCM Design

I know many of us don’t even want to think about how much money we’ve spent on our closet. By thrifting some of your clothes, you can greatly reduce how much you spend on your wardrobe. There are lots of high quality pieces for great prices waiting to be bought in thrift stores!

Thrifting is a great way to add some unique pieces to your wardrobe without breaking the bank. Next time you’re in need a new outfit, consider stopping by your local thrift store; you never know what hidden treasures are awaiting. Happy thrifting!

Christine Dinh

Virginia Tech '22

A Professional & Technical Writing major and lover of Arrested Development, kittens, and coffee ice cream!
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.