What Your Favorite Holiday Movie Says About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

With the holiday season fast approaching, everyone is getting excited about the fanfare, gatherings and events that come with it. But if you’re like me, one of your favorite parts of the holidays is the movies that are synonymous with the season. Bundling up in your favorite pair of winter pajamas, a fire roaring in front of you as snow begins to fall outside and you settle down into your favorite spot on the couch with your favorite holiday treat. There is nothing quite like sitting and watching these movies at this time of the year. But what does your favorite holiday movie say about you?

“A Christmas Story”

You are an original in your own right; a classic in the making. You enjoy the classic jokes and anecdotes that fill this movie and have probably watched it every year with your family because it was your parents’ favorite from when they were growing up. The aesthetics and iconic costumes, like Ralphie’s pink bunny suit, remind you of a simpler time and your favorite decade (even though you probably weren’t alive) was the 1980s.

“Elf”

You’re probably the youngest sibling and love every other movie that Will Ferrell has ever done. You’re probably a very bright and bubbly person who is one of the nicest people around and everybody loves. You have a very quick sense of humor that attributes to your likable personality and you definitely love singing loud for all to hear.

“Die Hard”

You probably had a brother — or a couple — and they have argued with the rest of your family every holiday season that “Die Hard” is a Christmas movie. If this is your favorite holiday movie, then you are competitive, ambitious and driven and like to get things done on your own and in a timely manner. You are most likely a Slytherin if this is your favorite holiday movie and you are not afraid to argue your stance on the “Is ‘Die Hard’ a Christmas movie” debate or fight for what you believe in.

National Lampoon’s “christmas Vacation”

If this is your favorite holiday movie you are the funny one in your friend group, or so you identify yourself as. You’ve probably seen every National Lampoon’s movie and it has influenced your sense of humor as a result. You’re sarcastic and witty but also a devoted family member, colleague and friend who would do anything to make the ones they love happy during this time of year.

“Love Actually”

You are most likely a hopeless romantic and the one most likely out of all your friends to get married first. In lameness terms, you just love love. The relationships that fill this movie have influenced how you approach your relationships with every single person you meet in your life whether it be your family, friends, co-workers or significant others. All in all, if this is your favorite holiday movie then you’re a very genuine person and the perfect embodiment of what someone would want in a friend or spouse.

“Home alone”

You are a go-getter, an entrepreneur. You’re confident in your abilities and know that you can succeed. If this is your favorite holiday movie, you probably tried to pull one of the pranks from this movie on your family and friends and are definitely the prankster of your friend group. You definitely enjoy and cherish your alone time, especially during the busiest time of the year, but when it boils down to it, there’s no place you’d rather be than with the ones you love this holiday season.

“HOw the Grinch stole christmas”

If this is your favorite holiday movie, then it has been your favorite for your entire life. One of the most mainstream holiday movies of all time, you like things the way they are and probably don’t like change. If your favorite is the Jim Carrey version, you have a great sense of humor and probably quote the movie all year round and if your favorite is the original cartoon, you aren’t afraid to let your inner child shine through. Overall, if your favorite holiday movie is “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” then this is most likely your favorite time of year and you aren’t afraid to let people know.

Any Hallmark original movie

If your favorite holiday movies are Hallmark Originals then you enjoy the simple things. You aren’t afraid to enjoy the little things and seek out peace and harmony in all aspects of your life. It’s safe to say that you are the rock of the friend group, you keep everyone in check and are very kind and down to earth. You probably work your butt off during the day and throughout the year and enjoy these movies for their uncomplicated plot lines, aesthetics and the general happiness that they exude.

Whatever holiday movie is your favorite, it doesn’t really matter. When it comes to the holiday season, the most important things are singing loud for all to hear and spending time with the ones you love. Until next year, Happy holidays, everyone!

Alexandra Brooks

Virginia Tech '22

Alexandra is a senior at Virginia Tech studying Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience with a minor in Political Science. A 5'2-ish Canadian-American who will stop whatever she is doing to go pet a dog, Alexandra chooses to live everyday by the motto, "Just be yourself." When not stressing out over her major or writing for Her Campus, Alexandra can be found working out, reading, listening to music, and hanging out with her friends and family.