Life > Experiences

What It’s Been Like Being in a Year-long Relationship in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

When this article comes out, my partner and I will have been in a relationship for a year. I transferred here last year so it’s funny because about as long as I have been at VT, I’ve been with my boyfriend. I had to not only get used to this school but get used to being in a long-term relationship, which was not something I had expected coming here. 

I love them and our relationship, but it came with some challenges. 

One was trying to learn how to make friends here while in a new relationship. In new relationships, you already have to go through that time period of trying to balance both friends and your relationship. I was trying to balance new friendships as well as my new relationship. When was it time for us to be together, and when was it time to hang out with friends? It was hard, some friendships ended up fading, and some didn’t. 

We also had to get used to each other’s schedules and the stresses that came with being college students. We learned how to deal with that without getting frustrated with each other. Dating in college is a little different than dating in high school or back home, and we had to figure that out.

We learned what works best for us as a couple. How to let each other do our own thing and when it was time to do stuff as a couple. 

Although there were some bumps in the road, there were more ups than downs. 

We got to experience a lot of new things together. We both came to Virginia Tech as transfer students so we were experiencing most things together like dorm life, campus food, events, and new places. 

I wouldn’t give that up for anything, as I had a built-in friend who was in the same boat I was. All of our firsts as a couple are all around this campus. 

The first picture we took together was at the kickoff concert last year. 

We held hands for the first time at Lane Stadium during the first football game. 

Our first kiss was in my dorm room. 

So, Virginia Tech means a lot to our relationship, I walk around this campus and see our first memories everywhere. 

It’s been a ride and a fun one. My family has joked that VT must’ve been giving out boyfriends at orientation because of how soon we found each other here but I would do it all over again if I had the choice. 

Getting into a relationship that soon wouldn’t have worked for everyone but it worked for us and I’m glad it did. I can’t imagine doing it without them. Being in a relationship in college comes with its challenges but I think it’s worth it. 

So, here’s to the next year with my partner and whatever adventures come our way!

Emily Barber

Virginia Tech '23

I am a senior at Virginia Tech majoring in English and Creative Writing. If I'm not reading a book, I'm usually crocheting or tending to my plants.