This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Americans are in a unique position right now in regards to the war in Ukraine. We are sitting in a comfortable place far away from the physical violence, yet we are witnessing the tragedy through the media. We have all seen the horrid effects of the war in Ukraine. Civilians all over the country are fleeing and fighting against the violence, while we watch. However, this isn’t content for a TikTok or a movie we are watching, this is real life for Ukrainians. So how do we help people thousands of miles away?

Staying Informed

The media we consume is almost always biased. Many news sources have been caught downplaying and even praising Vladimir Putin’s actions. But to start the conversation on how to support Ukraine, we have to be correctly informed. Misinformation spreads like wildfire, but when looking for accurate information, Ukrainian media is a great place to find it: #UkraineFacts, The Kyiv Independent, and The New Voice of Ukraine.

Start the Conversation

Because the war has very little effect on our daily lives as college students, many decide that the situation is too complicated and there is not much to do in terms of aiding Ukraine. Yet, there is power in talking about it. For example, while I was discussing the topic with a friend, they had come to the conclusion that American media was dramatizing the attacks. She is not alone in that conclusion; however, we have to stop that mindset. Civilians made up of innocent women and children are dying as a result of this conflict. They deserve to be talked about, and the civilians deserve recognition for their support in the war. The soldiers and civilians taking up arms against the attacks deserve the utmost honor for their bravery. 

Donating

There are many organizations that you can donate money to right now. The Ukrainian Red Cross is a great organization to donate to. They are providing medical services as well as training doctors to help in the crisis. If you are looking to help the children and families impacted by the war, SOS Children’s Village is also a great place to donate. 

Do your research

There are so many wonderful organizations to get involved with and donate to. You can pick organizations that provide basic necessities and hygiene products, some that are focused on children, others that are providing food for the citizens, and some specifically trying to get refugees out. Pick any that really resonates with you. Any and all donations can benefit someone in Ukraine. 

Ukraine deserves American help. The situation does not look like it will be ending anytime soon, and until it does it is our humanitarian duty to do all we can for the courageous men, women and children involved in the situation. As horrific as the scene in Ukraine is, do not shy away from it. Talk about it, learn about it, and get involved in it.

Caroline Reed

Virginia Tech '24

Caroline is a senior majoring in Multimedia Journalism and minoring in Creative Writing at Virginia Tech. Caroline has been apart of HerCampus for four years and loves being around such a fun group of girls! She loves writing short fiction, poetry, and news articles. She enjoys watching old movies and listening to Taylor Swift.