Style > Beauty

Virginia Tech Beauty Celebs: The Instagram Guru You’ll Want to Follow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

To begin the “Virginia Tech Beauty Celebs” profile series, I sat down with Sara Joy-Hogg, a Virginia Tech senior with a passion for beauty. With an Instagram account full of mini makeup tutorials, a YouTube channel in the works and a makeup club on the rise, Sara is the guru to follow.

When did your love for makeup begin?

I was allowed to wear makeup when I was 16, but I started sneaking mascara and concealer when I was 14. I was never really bad or good at makeup, and it wasn’t something that I thought a lot about until I got to college. I found a passion for makeup: the different looks I could create and the transformations. It became addictive. Then I noticed that people are getting paid just to do their makeup, and it’s actually a career now. Now I’ve become obsessed with the industry. My goal is to make it my career in the next few years.

What are your current beauty involvements?

Currently, I’m trying to build a following on Instagram through my mini tutorial videos (@littlerosiesturn). I’m hoping to transition into YouTube once I graduate and have more time. Aside from social media, myself and two friends started a makeup club at Tech called Glo Fleaux. We are going to have a lot of events and meetings this semester, including makeup classes, a natural beauty week, some fundraising and possibly a party.

If you could give college women three essential beauty tips, what would they be?

My first tip would be to find products that work for your skin type. Just because a product works for someone else doesn’t mean it’ll work for you. My second tip would be to take care of your skin, and let it breathe. Your skin is a canvas, and better skin makes for better makeup looks. And lastly, it’s cliche, but confidence is key. You can’t rock any look if you don’t have confidence in yourself.

Name your top five “ride or die” makeup products.

1. Maybelline FIT ME! Foundation – It’s cheap, it’s full coverage and it’s light. 2. NYC Liquid Eye Liner – It’s the best eye liner ever, and it’s only $3. 3. Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz – It’s expensive but totally worth it. It keeps your brows looking natural. 4. Ardell False Lashe – Any style is good. They’re all cheap, and the band is really easy to manipulate. 5. Urban Decay All Night Setting Spray – It’s totally worth the $30. It’s sweat-proof and water-resistant. Your makeup stays on literally all day.

Don’t forget to follow Sara @littlerosiesturn for makeup tutorials on the trendiest looks as well as killer beauty tips and tricks.

Bailey Black

Virginia Tech

I'm a Virginia Tech junior pursuing a major in Public Relations; a minor in Dress, Culture, and Society; and a minor/cognate in Marketing and Event Management. You can usually find me blogging, taking photos, listening to music, playing with makeup, organizing my planner or cooking up a healthy meal. I love giving advice on beauty, fashion, health and the college lifestyle, and I'm so thankful to be working with Her Campus!
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!