Life > Experiences

The Types of Friends I’ve Made in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Finding your people in college is hard. At the start of my freshman year, I met tons of great people and then some people who weren’t so great. As the year went on, I had riffs with some and went separate ways with others. As a sophomore now, I know I have cultivated a group of people who stand by me. Finding those who feed your soul is tough and happens with time, so be patient if you haven’t found yours yet; friends come in unexpected places at the weirdest of times. This article is for the close friends I’ve made in college so far.

The Friend I Never Saw Coming

I never would have guessed we’d have become close when we first met in class. You lift me up on bad days and I never have to hide how I’m really feeling around you. You are brutally honest when I need it and there with dairy-free ice cream when I just need to cry. From tarot card readings, watching the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, and other experiences, you have been a safety and a fun time. Somehow you always know when I’m in a rut and how to help me through it. You deserve so much from life and the West Coast is not ready for you. I love you and being your sister sign.

The Friend that Always Makes Me Smile

You are such a light in my life. Every time we talk, the weight comes off my shoulders. You have been given difficulties in life and to see you where you are now is inspiring. We can both be emotional wrecks and that’s okay. Meeting you in barre class was one of the best things to happen to me. To this day you motivate me in workout classes and life. You treat others with kindness and your energy is so positive and true. I know that you’re going to do incredible things in life because you give so much to others and attract wonder.

The Friend Who is My Complete Opposite

When we first met, I honestly didn’t think we’d get along. Really, we are polar opposites and the fact that we spend so much time together without strangling each other is incredible. I am beyond thankful that we got to know each other. Whether we’re just watching The Bachelor, getting food or being really (I mean really, really) quirky, I always have a good time with you. From our relationship, I have learned that not everyone is who they seem at first. You have taught me not to take life too seriously. I admire how fiercely you love others. You are always there for a cry session or an ice cream run. I know things don’t always seem easy, but you have me by your side. You push me outside of my comfort zone and for the most part, I’m better for it. When I’m around you, I am reminded that all will work out.

The Friend that Gives Me Perspective

Getting to know you has been one of the best surprises this year. Having someone around who gets a reference to “The Office” and is always up for a Cookout run has made this year a lot easier. When we are together, there’s bound to be some fun, but you have also brought a different perspective to situations in my life. You say the right things at the right time, and that has made a great impact on my life. Getting to know you as more than an acquaintance/coworker has been an incredible experience. I am so thankful I can count on you. Your sarcasm makes me laugh and thanks to you, I also know the Chicken Bacon Wrap at DX is pretty good.

The Friend from High School

You have seen me through it and I couldn’t be happier to have you by my side throughout high school and now college. Witnessing how college has shaped you into a stronger, a more confident person has been incredible. You never pry for details and trust that I’ll tell you things in my own time, which I need. You keep me up to date on all the hometown drama. We share so many jokes and important moments together. You have seen me at all the peaks and valleys of life. Even though we never see each other enough, I know you are only a call away. I am so happy to have you by my side through it all.

The Friend I’m Basically Dating

You are so good to me. Watching Vines and listening to Big Time Rush with you is one of my happy places. My heart is filled with so much love for you; if we hadn’t had become close when and how we did, I don’t know where I’d be right now. You remind me of all I am worth and what I deserve from relationships and life. Your opinion is one I trust the most. How we fill so many of our memories with pastries, ice cream, and donuts is impressive, really. Even if it’s just a text or FaceTime call, you always manage to empower me (my bangs would look horrible right now if it wasn’t for you). I cannot thank you enough for all you’ve done for me from encouraging my creativity, being my personal photographer, and healing me through heartbreak. The fact that you’re in Her Campus with me is another plus.

All images are the writer’s own

All gifs sourced from: Giphy.com

Jessica Mardian

Virginia Tech '21

Jessica is a senior at Virginia Tech, double majoring in Creative Writing and Multimedia Journalism.