This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Financial Literacy is one of the most important skills for college students to learn early on, from student loans to saving for retirement, it’s vital to learn the basics of personal finance to set yourself up for success in the future. Credit cards are an important part of building a credit score to ensure you get the best rates on loans in the future, credit scores show lenders that you are responsible for paying back money you have borrowed. So, I have compiled a list of starter credit cards best suited for college students, coupled with some sweet benefits for each one. As with every financial decision, it is important to spend carefully and make sure you can pay your balance in full monthly.

Discover it® Student Cash Back Card

My personal favorite, the Discover Student Cash Back Card offers college students a reliable credit card option to start building credit. Benefits include no annual fee, 5% cash back from everyday places rotating every quarter, and cash back never expires.

Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Card

The Capital Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Card is another practical option for college students that offers no annual fee, flat rate 1.5% cash back, and 10% cash back on Uber and Uber eats purchases.

Bank of America® Travel Rewards Card for Students

The Bank of America Travel Rewards Card for Students also offers no annual fee alongside 1.5 points per dollar spent and the best travel benefits of all the cards.

Brigitte Ilyev

Virginia Tech '24

Brigitte Ilyev is a current Senior pursuing a degree in Business Information Technology with a concentration in Operations and Supply Chain Management. In her spare time she enjoys playing tennis and listening to podcasts.