This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.
Keep your door open

Get a heavy-duty doorstop and use it! Keeping your door open is a great way to meet people in your hall; just say hello when they walk by. Many people will just see an open door and introduce themselves. Ask them their year and major, or anything really — most people are nervous and wanting to meet new people as well. Getting to know the people in your hall is so important for creating a welcoming environment, and this is an easy way to do so.

Decorate Your Room

Making your room your own with lights, posters and pictures can make your space feel like home and much more comforting in the long run. It can also make it more inviting for others to come in and hang out if you’re not comfortable going to someone else’s room. There are usually lots of events on campus where you can get free things from the school, so keep an eye out!

Go to as many orientation events as you can (yes, Really)

Tag along with those in your hall and go to the orientation and welcome week events. Not only are they great for getting information on a number of classes and clubs, but they are also a great way to meet new people. While icebreakers can be tedious, they really do the job. It can also help with learning all the names you’re going to need to remember.

Befriend your RA

Your RA is your best friend on the hall. If you ever need anything, they are who you call. They go through so much on a daily basis, so treating them well and making their lives easier is bound to go a long way over the course of the year. Usually they are very kind, sociable and wanting to meet their residents just as much as you want to meet them!

Walk your classes before they start

Look up not only your buildings but also your actual classroom numbers so that you don’t get caught off guard on the first day. Being prepared and knowing exactly what you’re walking into can definitely ease first day anxiety. Using Google Maps to find the best route can be helpful, as well as any other apps the school provides for transportation.

Talk to those next to you

Everyone, even if they aren’t a freshman, is a little nervous on the first day. They’re in new classes, around new people and learning new material. Talking to those around you and reaching out to bond over the material or professor or subject matter is a great way to not only make friends, but it’s also key for creating study groups for later on.

Don’t Eat every meal in your room

It can be intimidating to be the person in charge of making plans, but try to get a group to go get food when you can. Meals are a great time during the day when you’re not in class or doing homework, so it can be a perfect time to catch up with people. This is also great for exploring dining options on and off campus!

Loralee Hoffer

Virginia Tech '23

Loralee Hoffer is a senior at Virginia Tech majoring in Psychology with minors in Creative Writing and Adaptive Brain and Behavior. Through her writing, she enjoys sharing her experiences with health and wellness, relationships, body positivity, and campus life. Proud to be a part of the Her Campus team, she hopes to empower women and gain valuable experience, education, and friends along the way.