This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

As my college career comes to an end, looking back I have definitely changed a lot since freshman year. It’s kind of crazy how much I have learned and grown throughout three and a half years. They say your college years are some of the best years of your life, and I can’t disagree, so here are three things I have learned throughout my time at college.

It’s OK to say no sometimes

I feel that this is pretty obvious, but I personally find it challenging to say no to people. Even though college is about pushing your boundaries and gaining new experiences, there are also times when college is tough and you have to prioritize yourself and your needs. I remember during my freshman and sophomore year, I would literally say yes to any opportunity that came my way, and that quickly became really overwhelming.

I personally thrive when I’m kept busy so I typically take on multiple things at once, but it’s also important to balance that with time for myself to just relax, and that means saying no every once in a while. Of course there is that fear of missing out on something, but sometimes you have to make those sacrifices for your sanity. Trust me.

Friends will come and go

Looking at my group of friends today, I only knew one of them during my freshman year and we weren’t even that close back then. Movies and TV shows depict college as this place where you’ll find your group of best friends within the first week of school and conquer life together forever. Yeah, that was not my reality. I still occasionally talk to my friends from freshman year, but most of them have moved on to other friend groups and that is completely normal. Maybe you will stay best friends with the people you meet your first week of college, but for me, friends have come and gone throughout my college career. But I’m happy with my group of friends today, and really, that’s all that matters.

Major in something you enjoy

I know when it comes to choosing a career future income is a decision factor, but I don’t think you should choose your major based solely on a salary. I have met people during my college career who have looked down on my major, which is fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But these people also hate what they’re studying and justify it by saying they’re doing it for the money. Honestly, I would rather learn about something I’m interested in than be miserable and trudge through four years of learning about something I hate. Of course, it’s your choice in the end, but I think you will have a much more enjoyable college experience if you major in something you actually want to learn about.

While I’m sad for it to come to an end, I’m happy for all of the experiences I have gained and lessons I have learned throughout my college career.

Devon Lee

Virginia Tech '20

Just a multimedia journalism major, minoring in computer science and political science, who is passionate about sharing stories, random thoughts and life experiences.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!