Things To Do in the New River Valley This December

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

As the sun goes down sooner and we pull for the sweaters in our closets, it may seem difficult to find things to do. However, Blacksburg — and the New River Valley, most importantly — have plenty to enjoy this winter.

Blacksburg Holiday Parade

As someone who’s lived in Blacksburg full-time for the past two-and-a-half years, this is one of my favorite events to go to during the holidays. Taking place downtown on December 2nd, different businesses will be out for the winter gift market, and The Lyric Theatre will have time for everyone to meet Santa and Mrs. Claus. Not only that, but you’ll get the chance to watch the tree lighting on Henderson Lawn and — to end the night — see the Holiday Parade down Main Street.

A Very Narrows Christmas @ tHE mARKET

If you need help finding gifts for your loved ones, head about 35 minutes out of Blacksburg to Narrows Farmers Market for a Christmas market filled with small and local vendors to shop from. This is their third annual market, and it’s a great place to feel connected to your community. Make sure to check it out on December 11th at 2 pm.

Illuminights

Up in Roanoke, join Center in the Square and Explore Park for a 650,000-bulb winter walk. Beginning November 19th, you can enjoy marshmallow roasting, an artisan market, a miniature Christmas display, and the Walk of Lights — which will have photo opportunities and spectacular features throughout the half-mile wooded path to enjoy and signs and sounds of the season. However, getting your tickets to this event before going is best.

Elmwood on Ice

If you’re looking for a cute date idea or a fun outing with friends, definitely check out Elmwood on Ice in Downtown Roanoke. From November 23 through January 29, you can spend the day ice skating in the rink. Not only that but there are tons of restaurants and retailers to check out while there.

Home Alive in ‘45: a WWII Christmas Celebration

If you are particularly keen on history, head on over to Salem Museum & Historical Society for their display of how Christmas was celebrated during wartime. You’ll have the opportunity to hear period music, decorations, cards, and soldiers’ gifts — including some captured war trophies that were brought back by the troops and other souvenirs. Fun fact about this event: it’s completely free. So head on over on December 17th for this event.

While it can be difficult to find things to do around Blacksburg and the New River Valley, check out these events coming up before you leave for winter break to keep your spirits high.

Madi Armstrong

Virginia Tech '23

Madi Armstrong is a senior studying multimedia journalism with minors in Spanish and creative writing. Through writing, she hopes to empower those around her to advocate for what they believe in and to use their experiences in ways to help others. Proud to be part of Her Campus, she hopes to leave a lasting impact and create an environment where everyone feels welcome.