tao and elle on a movie date in heartstopper season 2
Netflix/See-Saw

The Most Anticipated Movies of the Summer

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

When it comes to summer activities, gathering in a dark room to stare at a tv-screen is not something we typically associate with the warmer months. Still, for decades, June, July and August have been crucial times for the film industry, with box-office performance and cultural impact at an all-time high. After all, who can think of Summer 2023 without remembering the Barbenheimer phenomenon?

As this Spring comes to an end, here are some of the most anticipated movies to look forward to this summer:

Inside Out 2

Starting off strong, the long-awaited sequel to Pixar’s “Inside Out” arrives in theaters June 14th — almost 10 years after the original. While the first movie followed the emotions of 11-year-old Riley as she navigated her family’s move to San Francisco, “Inside Out 2” focuses on Riley’s life as a 13-year-old and the changes that characterize this age. Adding to an already star-studded cast, “Inside Out 2” welcomes “Stranger Things'” Maya Hawke, “The Bear’s” Ayo Edebiri and other talented names to portray four new emotions: Anxiety, Envy, Embarrassment and Ennui. Considering the first movie’s success, “Inside Out 2” is definitely a must-see this summer.

StrangerThings StrangerThings4 8 01 04 58 20?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Courtesy of Netflix © 2022
A Quiet Place: Day One

Another continuation to look forward to, a spinoff prequel to the “A Quiet Place” series releases on June 28th. While the first two films took place a year after aliens invaded earth, this installment brings viewers back to day one of the apocalypse in New York City. With an entirely new plot and set of characters, I’m curious to see how “A Quiet Place: Day One” builds on this already beloved franchise.

The Fall GUy

If you, like the rest of the world, fell in love with Ryan Gosling after his performance in “Barbie”, you’re in luck. On May 3rd, Gosling will grace the silver screen once more alongside Emily Blunt in the action-comedy film “The Fall Guy”. The Fall Guy follows retired stuntman Colt Seavers (Gosling) as he returns to action in search of a missing actor: the star of his ex-girlfriend’s (Blunt’s) blockbuster film. With plenty of mystery, romance and, of course, explosions, Gosling will transition from a Ken Doll to the ultimate action figure. It’s up to viewers to decide which one is more fitting.

IF

IF you’re looking to reconnect with your inner child, John Krasinski’s upcoming comedy is the perfect film for you. “IF” follows a young girl Bea (Cailey Fleming) and her neighbor (Ryan Reynolds) who discover that they can see imaginary friends. Saddened by the number of forgotten imaginary friends, Bea embarks on a mission to reunite “IFs” with the children who dreamt them up. A stark contrast from the director’s A Quiet Place, I’m excited to see Krasinski dip his toes into the comedy scene.

Despicable ME 4

Finally, love them or hate them, the minions are returning this summer for another installment of “Despicable Me” on July 3rd. In this movie, Gru welcomes a fourth member to his oddball family: Gru Jr. With a new baby, a revenge-seeking prison escapee and the minion’s usual shennanigans, “Despicable Me 4” is definitely going to stir up some excitement this summer.

Universal Studios
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

These five movies are just the tip of the iceberg. With iconic performers, big-name directors and continuations of the series we all know and love, this summer promises to be a memorable season for movie-goers. For more movies arriving in theaters this summer, visit Fandango.com.

Erin Kearns

Virginia Tech '26

Erin is a Sophomore at Virginia Tech studying English. She works on the writing and editing team for Her Campus, and her hobbies include reading, painting, guitar, and photography.