This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

A shower is a reset. You’re resetting to begin your day or end your day, from the gym, to go out, or to relax. It’s important to have a routine and it’s equally as important to have a routine for the non-shower part of that reset. Like in episode three of season two of Euphoria, Cassie woke up at 4 a.m. every morning to get ready for school. In Rue’s narration, she mentioned how Cassie liked the “ritual” and attention to detail, and the refreshing feeling that came with putting that much effort into yourself. 

Of course, we all have our reasons for getting ready, which isn’t something I’m focusing on, but just know you don’t need a reason. You can have all the reasons in the world or one specific reason to shower. We live in a world where self-care is prioritized above all, which is different from a few years ago where “the hustle” was more prioritized. Self-care is definitely important to an extent. You don’t want to let it overpower your life to the point where you’re choosing it over everything else. It’s especially hard to find this balance when all you hear is “love yourself,” or to take time for yourself whenever life throws something at you, even the smallest inconvenience.

The shower itself is step zero. Everything you do after is the routine. Personally, my routine is to wash and dry my eyelash extensions, apply body lotion, do my skincare routine and then my hair care routine.

Now delving into the specifics, I wash and dry my eyelashes since that’s a very important part of lash maintenance. I then put on body lotion, especially since in the winter season my skin will get drier than usual. My skincare routine isn’t anything exquisite, really just sunscreen and a hydrating moisturizer since, again, winter makes my skin drier than normal. My haircare routine isn’t anything grand as well, just brush it and massage in a hair cream so it doesn’t dry frizzy. I will then use a heat protectant if I’m planning on heat styling it. After that, I will often do my makeup since I usually wear a full face almost every day.

This routine of mine is my time to myself. It’s part of my daily reset routine. Just like Cassie feels, it’s a refreshing feeling of a new beginning and getting myself dolled up for a new day. I do it because I love it. I love the entire process. Sure, sometimes I’ll add in a face or hair mask, and sometimes I rush through things because I’m trying to get ready quickly for something, but no matter what, it’s my time to become myself all over again.

Alejandra Jimenez

Virginia Tech '24

Alejandra Jimenez is a sophomore at Virginia Tech studying Computational Modeling & Data Analytics. She has a passion for shopping, tv shows, reading, and spending time with her friends and family.