Ten Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Be Friends With Your Ex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Everyone fears those dreaded words, “we need to talk.” Usually that phrase will terminate the relationship that you are in. What is one supposed to do now that he or she is single? The possibilities are endless. However, there is one thing that must NOT happen: you cannot be friends with your ex. Here are ten perfect reasons why you shouldn’t become friends with your ex after you break up.

1. You can’t turn off your feelings. Lets be honest here. Once a break up occurs, you don’t automatically lose all feelings for the person. It takes time and separation. If you are friends with your ex immediately after a break up it will turn out to be a disaster and eventually lead to disappointment. 
2. The sense of false hope. Being friends will lead to someone having the anticipation that you both will be getting back together.
3. You won’t want to be with anyone else. While being hanging out with one another, old feelings will arise. You will be constantly stuck on your ex, which will make you miss out on other opportunities in life.
4. You won’t want to hear about their other sexual relations. Lets face it; friends talk about sex and dating with each other. You are not going to want to hear about whom your ex has a crush with and whom he or she slept with. This is uncomfortable and defeats the purpose of a friendship. 

5. You have seen each other naked. Forget casually hanging out with each other when all you can do is picture them naked! 
6. There is a good chance you will end of sleeping with your ex again. By engaging in sexual relations after being broken up there is a good chance that one party will regret it later down in the road. There is also a good chance that one party will become even more attached than they already are.
7. Being friends with your ex o
nly creates more break ups to happen.
Going through a break up once is already hard enough. Why would you want to go through it over and over again?
8. You deserve to be happy. A break up happens because one person or both people are unhappy. A relationship is supposed to be sturdy, not fluctuating from day to day. Happiness is key; don’t dwell on the past.
9. Your other relationships could fail because of this. Your new spouse could easily become jealous of the relationship you have with your ex. Why waste the chance of being happy because you are still caught up on your ex? Don’t take that risky chance.
10. These reasons apply to a MAJORITY of ex’s, but there is always an exception. There are some relationships where both parties can truly move on and not care what the other person does. This type of relationship can most likely end in a civil friendship between the two.

Caitlin is a senior Professional Writing major. Besides Her Campus, she is the Internal Social Chairwoman for Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. She loves the beach, animals, shopping, yoga, and Hokie football!