Social Etiquette in a Digital Age

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Our age group is frequently referred to as ‘Generation Digital’. Meaning we are constant users of the internet, smartphones, videogames, television, laptops, and other electronic devices. We are fluent in the language of technology and masters of multi-tasking.. Although these amazing advancements provide an instant flow of information and entertainment; we fail to address the cost of the constant attention devoted to our digital devices.  

Smartphones seem to be the biggest distractions.  It’s evident wherever you go; in class, walking around campus, driving around town-you’ll witness numerous people using their phones.  Gone are the days of conversation uninterrupted by a text or a cell-phone game. 

Junior James Ramentol expressed his frustration with the matter. “It really bothers me when I’m trying to converse with someone and they’re constantly looking down at their phone the whole time.”
Unfortunately, this type of interaction (or lack thereof) is all too common these days.  Cell phones are placed on the dinner table, games are played under classroom desks, and dates are accompanied by third-party texts.
Sadly, we are becoming slaves to these little devices in our hands. People are failing to genuinely interact with the people in front of them. “When the person asks me to repeat myself-that’s the worst!.” Ramentol continued.
Social settings aren’t the only places where digital distraction is becoming serious problem. Just this week in Virginia, a bill passed in the Senate to make texting or e-mailing while driving a primary offense (it’s already secondary).  In the classrooms, professors order students to turn off cell phones and leave them in backpacks. Many are asked to leave if they don’t abide by this rule.  

It should be common sense to refrain from cell-phone use in these situations.
Yet many of us are still struggling to put the little screens away.

Here are the ultimate, most inappropriate situations to use a cell-phone:

·      Don’t Take a call while ordering food: There is no better way to frustrate the person serving you. Avoid this ordeal and talk on the phone before or after.

·      Using a phone during a class: Professors don’t have huge salaries yet they attempt to provide a quality education. Don’t miss out because you’re trying to beat your best score in Temple Run.

·      Texting on a date: This makes the other person feel like you’d rather be with whomever they’re texting. Special tip for the guys: don’t ever have your arms around a girl and be simultaneously texting.  If that was rated on a scale of rudeness from 1-10, it would be a 15.

·      An Event w/friends: Most likely you’ve all been looking forward to doing something together. Experience the fun rather than tweet about it.

·      Texting/E-mailing while Driving: The dangers of such an activity cannot be stressed enough. This is dangerous to you, other drivers, and pedestrians.  Texting your boyfriend back can wait until you’ve reached your destination. It’s simply not worth the risk.

Hopefully more individuals will begin to take cell-phone etiquette more seriously. If so, it would yield nothing but good results: safety on the road, improved face-face conversations, and more engaged in their non-virtual environments.

Sources:

http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11125

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/02/virginia-s-texting-while-driving-bill-passes-senate-72337.html

Laura Baugh

Virginia Tech

Laura Baugh is a senior at Virginia Tech where she is double majoring in Communications and Film. When not busy with school, Laura enjoys editing film and video, being the general manager at VTTV, spending time with her amazing sisters in Gamma Phi Beta, playing her guitar, and reading Her Campus! She is also obsessed with her school's athletics. Go Hokies!