Six Things to do in Blacksburg in the Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

As we all know, Spring in Blacksburg is magical. With warm weather, sunny skies, and blooming flowers quickly approaching, here are six wonderful ways to spend a spring day in Blacksburg.

Walk Around the Duck Pond

The duck pond is a beautiful historical Virginia Tech landmark.  When the weather’s nice, it’s the perfect place to take a walk, read a book on one of the many benches, or feed the ducks.  (Remember to feed the ducks seeds, greens, or oats as bread can hurt their stomachs!)

Lay out on the Drillfield

The Drillfield is the perfect place to set up a blanket and read a book, paint, or enjoy some sun. Don’t forget to throw on some sunscreen on sunny days!

Visit the Cascades

The Cascades are another local favorite.  The somewhat mild, easy trail and a short distance of 30 minutes from campus make the Cascades a beautiful spot to enjoy a view.

Take a walk around Hahn Horticulture Garden

Another local favorite is the Hahn Horticulture Garden. Found on campus right next to McComas Gym, the garden is filled with flowers, streams, and resting spots and is the perfect place to enjoy a book or some outdoor yoga.

Blacksburg Farmers Market

The Blacksburg Farmers Market is my personal favorite spring activity in Blacksburg.  Open on Saturdays from 10:00am to 2:00pm, the market is filled with local fruits, veggies, and delicious homemade treats. Be sure to try a cup of the fresh brewed coffee!

Sunday Brunch at Gillies

Another local favorite is Sunday brunch at Gillies.  Located on College Ave, this restaurant sells fresh and local produce, as well as a vegetarian and seafood inspired menu. Be sure to utilize the outdoor seating when the weather’s nice!

Alexandra Varnon

Virginia Tech '21

VT 2021; Psychology major/Comm minor