Places to Study on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

With finals taking of the lives of Hokies everywhere, traditional studying locations such as the library, Math Emporium, and study lounges have become ridiculously crowded. After doing a bit of research, I’ve come up with a list of other less-known places to study.

Starbucks: Starbucks is located across from the Math Emporium on University City Boulevard (open Monday-Saturday 6 am-10 pm; Sunday 6:30 am-10 pm) and in Kent Square on South Main Street (open Monday-Friday from 6:30 am-9 pm; Saturday and Sunday 7 am-9 pm). It provides free Wi-Fi, making it a reasonable place to study as long as you can handle the constant grinding of coffee beans and the bustle of people walking through. If you can’t work well with distractions, this is not the place for you. However, the half-price frappuccinos from 3-5 pm lasting until after finals week will keep you caffeinated and alert, and won’t be too harsh on your wallet.

Our Daily Bread: Across the street from the big Kroger on South Main Street resides Our Daily Bread. Also offering free Wi-Fi, Our Daily Bread is open Monday through Friday from 7 am to 6:30 pm, and Saturday from 7 am to 5:30 pm. It sells many different bakery and deli-style snacks and desserts. The majority of the lunch menu is around only five dollars! 

Panera Bread: Panera is in the same shopping center as the Math Emporium on University City Boulevard, so you can get there on most buses. Offering free Wi-Fi and plenty of seating, it is a pretty productive study environment. However, it can get really crowded around lunch and dinner time, so I’d try to sit in the back away from the registers. Also, if you sign up for a My Panera Rewards Card, after purchasing a certain amount of food you’ll receive a free baked good. What better incentive to study more frequently?!

Pamplin Computer Lab: This is one of the easier locations to get to, especially if you live on campus. The lab is in room 2010, and is usually rather empty.

O-Pass Tea and Crepe: Located in the University Mall, O-Pass is the quieter (but not too quiet) alternative to the Math Emporium. It is open 11 am-11 pm seven days a week. It isn’t usually too crowded, and you can always grab a Bubble Tea or any of their new menu items for a snack break.

Take a break from cramming in your room or waiting in line to get into the Math Empo and check out one of these places!

Caitlin is a senior Professional Writing major. Besides Her Campus, she is the Internal Social Chairwoman for Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. She loves the beach, animals, shopping, yoga, and Hokie football!
Laura Baugh

Virginia Tech

Laura Baugh is a senior at Virginia Tech where she is double majoring in Communications and Film. When not busy with school, Laura enjoys editing film and video, being the general manager at VTTV, spending time with her amazing sisters in Gamma Phi Beta, playing her guitar, and reading Her Campus! She is also obsessed with her school's athletics. Go Hokies!