Wellness > Health

Personal Care Products That Are Safer For Your Body

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Self-care, personal hygiene, and cosmetics are all essential parts of our daily lives. These personal care products contain ingredients that we should make sure are safe for our bodies. Unfortunately, several beauty and health products sold in stores today contain ingredients that are harmful to the human body. It is important that we research the ingredients in the products we use to ensure that we are not putting toxins onto and then into our bodies daily. Here are four personal care products that are safe for daily use on your body:

Native Deodorant

Native deodorants are aluminum-free and paraben free. Some of their classic scents include Coconut & Vanilla, Buttercream & French Vanilla, Eucalyptus & Mint, Lilac & White Tea, Lavender & Rose, and Sweet Peach & Nectar.

Aluminum in deodorants blocks or clogs your apocrine glands. Aluminum-free deodorants block body odor rather than sweat glands which is a better alternative for your body.

More information on Native deodorants can be found on their website.

Native Body Wash

Native body washes are sulfate-free, paraben-free, dye-free, and phthalate free. They are also vegan and cruelty-free and made out of naturally derived ingredients. Some of their classic scents include Coconut & Vanilla, Buttercream & French Vanilla, Eucalyptus & Mint, Lilac & White Tea, Lavender & Rose, Sweet Peach & Nectar, and Unscented.

Sulfates can cause dry skin, skin irritation (especially for those with sensitive skin), and clogged pores which can lead to acne breakouts. Parabens can disrupt hormones in the body, harm your fertility and reproductive organs and increase the risk of certain cancers. Body washes like Native body washes that are free from these harmful ingredients are safer and healthier for your body.

More information on Native body washes can be located on their website.

Love Beauty And Planet Shampoo & Conditioner

Love Beauty and Planet shampoos and conditioners are sulfate-free, silicone-free, paraben-free, microplastic-free, phthalate-free, and dye-free. The shampoos and conditioners are vegan and made of ingredients that are ethically sourced with a completely biodegradable formula. The bottles are also 100% recyclable.

They have shampoos and conditioners for almost every hair need. I personally use the one for color-treated hair since I have lighter highlights in my hair. They also have shampoos and conditioners for damaged hair, dry hair, frizzy hair, curly hair, and greasy hair. The other shampoos and conditioners focus on enhancing the volume, strength, shine, and overall health of hair. The scents of all their shampoos and conditioners are amazing (Murumuru Butter & Rose, Argan Oil & Lavender, Shea Butter & Sandalwood, Coconut Water & Mimosa Flower, Coconut Milk & White Jasmine, Indian Lilac & Clove Leaf, Vegan Biotin & Kissed Mandarin).

More Information on Love Beauty and Planet Shampoo & Conditioner can be found on their website.

Truly Coco Cloud Whipped Shave Butter

TRULY Coco Cloud Whipped Shave Butter is vegan, animal cruelty-free, and harsh chemical free. It is made in the United States from global ingredients–primarily coconut milk and argan oil. Coconut milk contains vitamin C which helps with the flexibility and elasticity of the skin. Argan oil contains vitamins A, C, and E, antioxidants, linoleic acid, and omega-6 fatty acids. All of these ingredients help make your skin smoother and healthier.

Using this shave butter guarantees that no harmful chemicals are being absorbed into your skin while shaving and leaves your skin feeling smooth and soft after shaving.

More information on TRULY Coco Cloud Whipped Shave Butter can be located on their website.

It is important to take care of our bodies and one key way we can do that is by making sure the products we use frequently are safe. I recommend all products listed because of their quality and safety. I encourage you to read up on the products you purchase and use on your body.

Simone Smith

Virginia Tech '25

I am a junior at Virginia Tech pursuing a degree in Public Relations. I enjoy painting, hikes with friends, sunsets, and finding new music.