This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Sundays — they can be scary. A Sunday marks the beginning of a fresh new week and sets the tone for the days following, but if I don’t reset the way I should, I run the risk of feeling discombobulated all week. All in all, it’s important to take care of yourself on Sundays, especially after long weekends in college — let’s be real, they can be long. 

In 2022, I’ve given an exponential amount of time focused on how I’m setting myself up for success in advance. A friend of mine once said it best, “Treat your future self like you would treat your friend: with diligence and respect.” With this being said, I try to set myself up for an easier week by asking how I can help myself. When it comes to completing a task I’m dreading to do, I meet my lack of motivation with the feeling of joy I’ll feel the next day because I was proactive on Sunday. Asking myself what my future self would appreciate gives me the opportunity to have a more peaceful week. 

Here is a little rundown of a typical, realistic Sunday in my life.

9 a.m. Wake up. Now, I don’t always wake up right at nine in the morning, but I certainly aim to be up around this time. I think sleeping in is important and I often need it after a long weekend in Blacksburg, but I never beat myself up if I take a little longer to get out of bed. As soon as I wake up, I try to drink at least one glass of water.

9:15 a.m. After finally getting out of bed, I always take time to clean my room. I’ll wipe down and dust my dorm, vacuum and do my laundry. A clean room means a clean life.

10:15 a.m. After finishing my morning cleaning, I’ll get myself ready for the gym and drink a Celsius for extra energy. 

10:45 a.m. When I get to the gym, I always start by doing my own version of the 12-3-30 workout routine, except in mine, I walk on an 8% incline at 3.5 mph for 20 minutes as a warmup. Then, I run for at least 25 minutes. Lately, my goal has been to walk 1 mile, run 3 miles and then cool down with another 1-mile walk. This workout gives me a good sweat and certainly helps me get rid of toxins in my body. Lastly, I always stretch for five to ten minutes before leaving for the day.

12 p.m. After leaving the gym and taking a shower, I always treat myself to lunch and a drink from Starbucks. My current favorite drink is the iced double espresso with almond milk, two pumps of hazelnut syrup, one pump of sugar-free vanilla syrup and extra ice! It may be a complicated order, but it’s delicious!

12:30 p.m. Head to the library and organize my week. I look at my upcoming assignments and plan when I’ll do them so my time can be spaced out efficiently. While here, I’ll get a head start on Monday’s and Tuesday’s tasks, so I can be ahead of the game.

5:30 p.m. I’ll try to stay at the library until this time before I need a break. I’ll typically grab myself a rice bowl from West End and go home to watch TV or hang out with friends.

7 p.m. Since I’m in a sorority, I have chapter meetings on Sunday nights.

8 p.m. Once I’m home from chapter, I like to put on a face mask, drink some sort of hot tea, and read my book before heading to bed.

I don’t always stick to this routine exactly, but I certainly try to. Life gets crazy and new tasks pop up throughout the week, so when you have the chance, take care of yourself and your chores in advance. After all, your future self should be your friend!

Taylor Walsh

Virginia Tech '23

Hi everyone! I'm Taylor Walsh and I'm a Professional and Technical Writing major here at Tech. I'm from Bristow, Virginia--about 40 minutes south of D.C. In addition to writing, I love painting, traveling, and hanging out with friends and family!