My Must-See Shows for the Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

So many exciting things happen during the Fall season: we get new classes, Hokie football kicks into gear, and the weather is wonderful. One thing I always look forward to in the Fall is the return of all my favorite shows I have been yearning for since March. As much as we all love doing our homework at night, it’s nice to be able to relax for an hour or so and get lost in our favorite shows. Here are my recommendations for this Fall:

1)      The Office- an obvious choice for most everyone reading this blog. I don’t think I need to go into the plot too much. Although Steve Correll has sadly moved on, I’m willing to still give the show a chance. I’m not ready to break up this relationship quite yet. I heard Jenna Fischer (Pam) is pregnant so they’re going to write that into the script. That should be an interesting twist. Of course, as long as Rainn Wilson (Dwight) is in still in the picture, the show should be okay.
Premieres September 22 at 9 p.m.

2)      Sons of Anarchy- I discovered this show over Christmas Break and watched all three seasonswithin two months. Just take one look at the main character Jackson ‘Jax’ Teller (Charlie Hunnam) and you’ll see the initial appeal. If the ridiculous good looks of the main character don’t keep you watching, then the intensity of the show is sure to keep you hooked. The show is a drama based around a motorcycle club in the fictional town of Charming, California.  The motorcycle club uses an automotive business as a front for their illegal gun trading. The characters are somehow easy to relate to although most of us don’t have full back tattoos, run illegal firearms, or have a Harley. By the way, this is not necessarily a show you should watch with your grandparents or parents. Lots of cursing and violence.
Premiered September 6 at 10 p.m.

3)      Parks and Recreation- The Emmy Award winning executive producers of The Office also produce Parks and Rec and the show features the same type of “mockumentary” in an office setting. The show explores the local government of a small town called Pawnee. Amy Poehler (SNL) plays the lead role as Leslie Knope. Knope is a quirky, fun boss who actually cares about Pawnee and is constantly trying to beautify the city. Although the plot and setting are really similar to The Office, I find them to be funny in completely different ways and don’t think they can be compared.
Premieres  September 22 at 8:30 p.m.

4)      Modern Family- See a trend here? Modern Family is yet another comical “documentary” type show. The families talk to the camera every episode and there is constantly something hilarious happening. The show covers all bases of crazy families—the uptight mom, the eye rolling teenager, the dad who tries too hard to be cool, etc. Definitely a must-see.
Premieres September 21 at 9 p.m.

Images taken from FXnetworks.com and Wikipedia

Caitlin is a senior Professional Writing major. Besides Her Campus, she is the Internal Social Chairwoman for Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. She loves the beach, animals, shopping, yoga, and Hokie football!