This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Since the break is over and school is back in session, I wanted to give you all some book recommendations to pick up during your free time. As a little girl, my mom would read to me every night before bed; this is where my love for books began. In 2021, I read 24 books. I rated many of them at least four to five stars, and I want to share some of them with you.

After 9,363 pages, here are my top books of 2021.

“The Inheritance games” and “The hawthorne legacy” by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

“The Inheritance Games” and “The Hawthorne Legacy” by Jennifer Lynn Barnes were some of my favorite reads in 2021. I really enjoyed these books because they were fast paced and kept me on the edge of my seat. Once I opened the book, I was instantly hooked. I am extremely excited for the last book to come out later this year. I recommend this series to anyone that needs something fast-paced that is filled with adventure and a little romance. 

“It Ends With Us” by Colleen Hoover

You can never go wrong with Colleen Hoover. However, I do recommend that you check all trigger warnings before reading this book because it does talk about some heavy topics. The reason why I added this book to my list is that it really opened my eyes by showing me how people can really be. This book made me laugh, cry and really think about life. I recommend any books by Hoover because all of them are truly amazing. 

“The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” by Taylor Jenkins Reid

This book was another book that took me on a rollercoaster of emotions. I stayed up until 3 a.m. reading this book. Evelyn Hugo’s story was so beautifully written that I was truly sad when this book ended. Taylor Jenkins Reid is another amazing author — she has many books published that are well known in the reader community. “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” showed themes of LGBTQ+, which was something the author played out very well in this story. Overall, I enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone — readers and nonreaders. 

“Beach Read” by Emily Henry

“Beach Read” by Emily Henry was one of my favorite books that I read in 2021 because it was easy to connect with the characters. Both January and Gus went through experiences that were relatable to many people, so it added to the reasons why I really enjoyed this book. I think when an author adds relatable characters, it makes the book ten times better, and that’s what Henry did. Henry has published another book that I plan on reading this year, and she is also publishing another one in May. I am excited to read these because I really enjoyed “Beach Read.”

“Six of Crows” by Leigh Bardugo 

Now this is one of my all-time favorite books. “Six of Crows” takes place in the Grishaverse, where many of Leigh Bardugo’s other books take place. I fell in love with “Six of Crows” because of the characters. Each of the main characters has such unique personalities, and they are so lovable. This book is so fun and full of adventure. Bardugo has amazing skills with world-building — it is one of the many reasons I love her books.

All of these books were amazing to me, and I think other people would enjoy them as much as I have. One reason I love reading is that it provides me with a place to escape to, and every single one of these books allowed me to escape reality for a little bit.

Katie Tuggle

Virginia Tech '25

Hi, my name is Katie and I'm a senior majoring in psychology. I love being around my friends and family, chasing sunsets, listening to music, and driving around. I am so happy to be a part of the Her Campus writing team because I feel like I have found a place where my voice gets heard. Her Campus allows me to tell my stories without being interrupted and it gives me a place to be my true self.