Megan’s Healthy Living Blog: Welcome!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

So, I’ve finally decided to listen to my friends and family and start an ongoing blog. I’ve attempted this in the past, but never quite stuck with it. Many of my past writing projects have been attempts and fails. Underneath my bed at home, you’ll find countless journals with the openings of some incredibly promising children’s stories. I guess neither you nor I will ever know the endings. I’ve come to the conclusion that these stories failed for one of two reasons: I wasn’t writing about things that effect me daily, or I simply got bored. Now, I think I am ready to embark on a blogging journey on a topic of great interest to my current life. To say I take health and fitness seriously would be an understatement. My life revolves around exercising, eating right, and promoting healthy habits. I am proud of myself for this, and pride myself on the fact that I am focusing on these habits at such a young age.

Readers, I plan to share daily events, workouts and meals. The meals may be lacking until I get some time to spend at home, or in a real kitchen for that matter. I make do with what I have in my dorm room and do my best to pick the healthiest options at the on-campus dining halls. Needless to say, I can’t wait until I have my own apartment next year where I can have more control over my food (the salad bar can get pretty boring after a while).  As far as my workouts, they tend to be similar regardless of my location minus the fancy gym equipment I have access to at school. As for my “healthy habits,” yes, I still go to bed relatively early at home, read novels and the newspaper regularly, as well as spend quality time with friends and family. Naturally, I indulge in a couple Starbucks lattes and Frappuccinos along the way.

This week was super busy for me. Although a naturally organized person, I found myself using my planner excessively this week- most all of my activities were planned (even watching the Modern Family episode I had missed over lunch one day). I prefer to be busy, because I accomplish more, but this week really tired me out.  After eating some spinach salad and pizza, I’m sitting in the family room of my lake house with my parents enjoying some much-needed R&R.

I tend to be a person who enjoys morning workouts for a few reasons: it’s over with early in the morning, and I tend to feel better and more energized throughout the day. Of course, this varies from person to person. I’m sure most college students wouldn’t dream of waking up before 9 am to workout. I’m not quite the “normal” college student in that sense.  In the next couple months, I’ll be running a 5K, 10K, and hopefully a half marathon in either the late summer or early spring. Now, I’ve never been much of a treadmill runner, but recently, I found some great treadmill workouts. I usually hate the treadmill because it’s boring and although you’re racking up distance, you don’t go anywhere. Here are some workouts sure to make you sweat, but also feel like you’re accomplishing big things all while staying in the same place!

Speedy and Sweaty
Minutes     Speed     Incline
0-10            6.8           1
10-15          4.0          10
15-17          6.5          1
17-20          6.8          1

Now for the food.  With the amount of exercise I’m completing daily, I need to eat healthy and substantial food. My latest obsession: Chobani Greek Yogurt. This stuff is the best. Get it in any flavor (although I love Apple Cinnamon and Blood Orange) and eat it with a meal, or as a snack. Usually, I’ll top it with something crunchy (I have some Honey-Nut Cheerios right now) for fun. Another new obsession: frozen bananas. I’m a monkey when it comes to bananas, but pop them in the freezer and it’s like you’re eating a whole different fruit! Over break, I found an interesting recipe and was a little skeptical to try it: overnight oats. It combines some of my favorite breakfast foods, Chobani, oatmeal and fruit! Here’s the recipe, along with a bowl of some overnight oats I made recently. Feel free to mix up the flavors!

Overnight Oats

1 6oz container Chobani Greek yogurt
1 packet Quaker Instant Oats
Enough milk for consistency of your choice

Mix ingredients in bowl, cover, and refrigerate overnight. Top with fruit, add more milk, and enjoy!

Megan is a sophomore at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia. She is pursuing her B.A. in Communications with a concentration in Multimedia Journalism as well as a B.A. in Spanish Language. She is also pursuing a minor in Creative Writing. Megan updates her personal blog daily, and had a weekly blog as a Contributing Blogger for Her Campus Virginia Tech during her freshman year. As a dedicated member of Alpha Delta Pi sorority, Megan serves as the official blogger. Megan's interest in journalism began with her involvement with her high school's newspaper; where she served as an assistant section editor and a section editor her sophomore and junior years. She was the managing editor her senior year. In her free time, Megan enjoys running and competing in races, reading on her Kindle, and taking photos. 
Laura Baugh

Virginia Tech

Laura Baugh is a senior at Virginia Tech where she is double majoring in Communications and Film. When not busy with school, Laura enjoys editing film and video, being the general manager at VTTV, spending time with her amazing sisters in Gamma Phi Beta, playing her guitar, and reading Her Campus! She is also obsessed with her school's athletics. Go Hokies!