This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Whoa! Celebrity Josh Thompson has been spotted on campus. This A-lister is a first year grad student, but graduated from Tech as an undergrad last semester. During his undergrad, he majored in English and was involved in the Marching Virginians, Delta Omicron (the professional music fraternity), concert band, Hokie pep band, and was a Writing Center consultant. As a grad student, he continues to support our school with the Marching Virginians, or as they call it, MV. Josh is extremely well known in the English departm

ent bec
ause he is outgoing, friendly, and an overall kind person. If you’re looking for a smile, hit this guy up!

Her Campus Virginia Tech: Do you consider yourself a celebrity around campus?
Josh Thompson: Not really. What’s a celebrity, you know? Can I walk across campus and not see twenty people I know? No. But I wouldn’t call this fame. I’m just a well known, involved, and spirited Hokie!

HCVT: Have you always wanted to play with the Marching Virginians?
JT: Not really, I never really knew anything about it until I got to college but as soon as I heard about the auditions, I knew I had to try out.

HCVT: What is your favorite song to play during the games?
JT: I don’t know if I can pick one, so I’ll give you a few. “Zoot Suit Riot,” “Radar Love,” “Scatman,” and of course, “Superman” because if we’re playing that it means we won!

HCVT: How do you think MV has shaped your college career?
JT: MV has given me the opportunity to meet people who have become really, really close friends and they are the people who shape your experiences.

HCVT: Do you think it will be hard to come back to Lane after graduation and not play in the band?
JT: Absolutely. That’s the reason I’m still doing it in grad school, I do not want to leave the awesome experience of seeing every game with my best friends at the North End Zone!
HCVT: I can definitely understand that!

HCVT: What piece of advice would you give to a new MV?
JT: Get ready for the most meaningful, fulfilling, and exciting experiences of your time in Blacksburg! This unique group of people will grow together and become lifelong friends.

HCVT: Josh, how do you balance everything?
JT: I have no clue. Ha-ha. I really have no idea. I know that 5:30-7:00 pm is set aside for band and I schedule everything around that. I will tell you though; there has never been a night that my head has hit the pillow before midnight.

HCVT: You’ve done so much with your time in Blacksburg, but what do you think has been the most meaningful?
JT: I don’t know that I can pick just one. Of course, all the service projects with MV mean a lot to me. We’ve done Habitat for Humanity in honor of Stack, a MV who was a victim of April 16th. The Marching Virginians also march for ALS and participate in Hungry Hokies. Apart from MV, I work at the writing center, so I take pride in helping people become better writers.

HCVT: And on a lighter note, what is your favorite dining hall on campus?
JT: Well, I’ve only been to Turner Place once, but it was amazing! However, West End is definitely a favorite and D2 (when I’m feeling like a fatty.)

Carlee Cutchin

Virginia Tech

Caitlin is a senior Professional Writing major. Besides Her Campus, she is the Internal Social Chairwoman for Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. She loves the beach, animals, shopping, yoga, and Hokie football!