This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Friends. We all have them. We all need them. They are the best. Having a collective group of people that you can be your most outrageous and comfortable self with is what we all wish for. The inside jokes flooding the group chat. The laughter that comes from having all of your snap memories filled with your friends’s dumb yet hilarious decsions. Friends are amazing, and having them be your own small family is even greater. 

Then you have people like me. All of my life, I never had a solid “friend group.” I’ve had multiple close friends but not the ones you could make a happening groupchat out of. I jumped around from friends to friends. I have always been able to float from friend to friend without any problems. A “social floater” if you will. It wasn’t until my senior year of highschool into my freshman year of college that I realized that I never had “my people.”

I love being my own person. I love being able to bounce around and do my own thing. I thought being “alone” or a “floater” was a bad thing but in reality, it has so many perks!

1. I learned about how to be comfortable with myself. I found out what made me, “me,” and how that is amazing.

2. I have gained perspectives of different types of people and experiences. I know what it looks like outside my bubble or what I am used to, and am able to explore the “what ifs” and “how comes.”

3. When you introduce your friends from different groups and they hit it off, it feels like a huge accomplishment. 

4. Lastly, I never feel obligated to do the same thing with the same people or have a sense of “fomo.”

Being coined the term of a “social floater,” may seem like a bad thing or have negative connotations. In reality, for me, it is one of the best things about myself. Maybe one day I will have my squad, but that’s not something I worried about because I know they are out there somewhere. I’m just having fun bouncing around now! 

All Gifs Sourced from Giphy.com 1/2/3/4

Are'Yanna Dickens is studying fashion merchandising and design and multimedia journalism at Virginia Tech. She loves writing pieces about people, fashion, or her about her own experiences.
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.