This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I love Valentine’s Day for all the romantic, lovey reasons, but it’s also fun to spend time with your friends—which is why I love the idea of Galentine’s. I’ll be doing a Galentine’s Day this month, and so I wanted to make a list of ideas that I thought would be fun to do with my friends (and yours).

baking

I love baking with my friends as it’s always so much fun, and the possibilities are endless. You could make conversation heart cookies, red velvet cake, chocolate-covered pretzels, etc. Just go with what feels right.

paint night

My friends and I did this for Halloween, and it was a lot of fun. There are a few ways you can do this: Dollar Tree usually has little wooden signs you can paint and there are a lot of variations. My friends and I did this and they turned out super cute! Or consider getting some canvas’ and just painting whatever you want. I highly recommend making a painting playlist and adding some tasty snacks.

movie night

I love a good movie night, especially with my friends. You could go the route of watching classic romcoms or switch it up with a tense horror flick. See what the group is feeling toward Valentine’s Day, and go with the flow. Be sure not to forget those tasty snacks and drinks.

photoshoot

I love this idea—it’s one I want to do this year with my friends. You’ll want to get a bunch of decorations—again I recommend Dollar Tree for this—streamers, balloons, and props. Make yourself a cute Valentine’s Day backdrop. Then you’ll want to dress in your favorite outfits to take these photos. Matching is optional but it might be fun if you go by the same color scheme. 

SELF-CARE night

For this idea, all you need is a few face masks, other skincare items, a hot drink (like tea, hot chocolate, or coffee), maybe some nail polish, and music or a movie for background noise. You’ll also want to dress in your comfiest clothes whether that be sweats or pajamas; we’re going for comfy, laid-back vibes here. 

The most important thing to remember for Galantines is to have fun with your friends and to figure out what is the best way to celebrate for your group of friends. If it’s going out, then go out for dinner (or bar hopping if you prefer). Just find what would work best for you.

Emily Barber

Virginia Tech '23

I am a senior at Virginia Tech majoring in English and Creative Writing. If I'm not reading a book, I'm usually crocheting or tending to my plants.