The Hunger Games: Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I love midnight showings. You get to view a movie the first time it comes out, with no biases. You feel cool going to the movie theater in the middle of the night, and you are surrounded by people that are as excited to see the movie as you are.

So of course, I went to the midnight showing of the Hunger Games!

I have been looking forward to seeing this movie for a very long time, and was a little worried that it wouldn’t live up to all of the hype that is has been receiving. I am happy to say that it went above and beyond all of my expectations. Without further ado, here are my top 5 favorite things about the Hunger Games Movie (*there are a few surprises that I divulge, so be warned).

1 Jennifer Lawrence- Amazing. Just amazing. She really was Katniss for me. I loved how I felt all of her emotions and thoughts. The way she bonded with each and every character was so perfect. She was everything I expected Katniss to be and more.

2 Rue- I don’t remember the last time I cried that much in a movie. Amandla Stenberg was so adorable as Rue and really connected with Katniss so well. Her death scene was exactly what happened in the book, and was just as heart breaking. So sad but so good.

3- Peeta- How can I not add Peeta. Josh Hutcherson IS Peeta. He was so loveable, kind, and good hearted. His interactions with Haymitch and Caesar really showed you how he can charm anyone and how personable he is. The cave scene was mesmerizing, especially when they kissed for the first time. Also, Peeta’s facial expressions are priceless!

4 District 12 Flashbacks- I loved how they would flash back to District 12 every once in a while so you could see Gale, Katniss’ Mom, and Primm. Even though I am team Peeta, seeing Gale react to Katniss on the TV really made me feel bad for him and it showed how much he cared for her.

5 Cato- I am officially changing to Team Cato. First, SO good looking. They gave him a great monologue at the end that really showed how the hunger games changes them and forces them to do inhumane things, but in the end they are still kids. Even though this was not in the book, I loved how the most lethal and vicious tribute still felt like what he was doing was wrong.

Loved it, hated it, let us know! What was your top 5 favorites of the movie?

Laura Baugh

Virginia Tech

Laura Baugh is a senior at Virginia Tech where she is double majoring in Communications and Film. When not busy with school, Laura enjoys editing film and video, being the general manager at VTTV, spending time with her amazing sisters in Gamma Phi Beta, playing her guitar, and reading Her Campus! She is also obsessed with her school's athletics. Go Hokies!