This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Silly title considering I go to a school that’s quite literally named Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. It’s a stem school with extensive programs to teach the future engineers, biologists, chemists and physicists, ect. The whole campus was practically built by engineers to ensure smooth sailing education.  

I’m a double liberal arts major, majoring in political science (pre-law) and communications (multimedia journalism). The usual responses are positive or quite literally the opposite.  

“They got you doing the easy work”  

“So, you like coloring books?” 

“Everyone has a path”, that’s perfectly fine” 

“Wow that’s so cool! You’re going to be a politician?  

Personally, that’s my favorite because that’s like asking a biologist if they want to be a tree.  

Anyways the point of this isn’t to complain about how hard life is but as a reminder about how stem and humanities education battle each other beautifully. They are both equally as important (though some may disagree), they both make each other shine in everyday life.  

STEM subjects and the humanities go hand in hand, adding a touch of surprise to each other. While STEM disciplines focus on the realms of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, the humanities delve into philosophy, literature, history, and art. Despite their apparent differences, they both contribute to the development of critical thinking skills. Humanities subjects foster a profound comprehension of intricate matters, prompting students to scrutinize, interpret, and challenge the world around them. 

In addition, the humanities add an ethical aspect to the discussion. As scientists and engineers explore new frontiers of innovation, it’s important to consider the ethical implications of their work. Humanities disciplines, like philosophy and ethics, offer a way to tackle moral dilemmas and navigate the societal effects of scientific advancements. By incorporating ethical considerations into their research and development processes, STEM professionals can ensure that their work is in line with broader societal values and priorities.  

In addition, the humanities foster creativity and innovation, which are highly prized in STEM fields. Exposure to literature, art, and cultural studies can ignite a spark of creativity and imagination, encouraging STEM professionals to break free from conventional thinking and tackle problems with fresh perspectives. By incorporating perspectives from the humanities, scientists and engineers can create inventive solutions to tackle intricate problems and cater to the varied demands of society.  

It’s the opposite attract trope (can you tell I like analogies). With how expansive each field is, they connect and manage to function in a magnificent structure. There is always something out there for everyone. Whether that’s running the country, building the country, or protecting the country. Keep your head up and continue to be passionate.  

Hafsa Ayubi

Virginia Tech '27

I am currently a first-year student at Virginia Tech, with intentions to pursue a double major in Political Science and Communications. I am originally from Northern Virginia and I have a strong connection to my ethnic heritage. I have consistently derived pleasure from the act of writing, as it serves as a means for expressing my emotions. As I embark on the creation of my second book, I derive great pleasure from the freedom to express my passion through writing. My interest has always revolved around writing, encompassing a wide range of topics from pop culture to providing advice on navigating through the challenges of a breakup. I hope my writing can inspire and help people get through life and laugh a bit!