How To Throw Your Own Taylor Swift Era’s Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

My 22nd birthday is at the end of March and because I’m a huge Swiftie (And because of the literal song 22), I decided I’m having a Era’s party. I’ve had a lot of fun planning this party so I wanted to share some of the things I’m doing incase you have a birthday coming up (or you just have serious FOMO from opening weekend on the tour). 

1. Everyone’s dressing up as a Taylor Swift era (or an ex boyfriend)!

I love this idea because Taylor has so many looks so there’s something for everyone to wear. You can go with a more low-key look and do the braid and flannel for an Evermore look or you can dress dramatic and do black, sparkles, and snakes for Reputation. 

Taylor Swift folklore
Republic
  1. Photoshoot

You can go a few different ways for this depending on what you want to do. One idea is to get different color streamers for the different albums and make a backdrop. You could also get some props like make your own 1989 polaroid, Mirrorball’s, champagne balloons, sunglasses, etc. I also got a “I’m feeling 22” banner because of my birthday. 

miley cyrus and dolly parton
Vijat Mohindra/NBC
  1. Taylor Swift themed drinks

This is a fun way to really incorporate her songs into your party. You can do alcoholic drinks or not if you’re under the age limit. Pinterest has a lot of great ideas for cocktails and mocktails that can be Swift themed. I suggest doing drinks based on your favorite songs!

1. Make Taylor’s famous chai sugar cookies

Ingredients: 1/2 cup of butter, room temperature, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for sprinkling on top, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 egg, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or the seeds of 1 vanilla bean pod, 1 packet of crushed up chai tea leaves, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt. 

For the glaze: 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 3 tablespoons milk 

Directions

Mix the room temperature butter until light and fluffy.

Add the oil, and mix again until at least mostly incorporated. The butter and oil don’t need to completely blend.

Add the granulated sugar, powdered sugar, egg and vanilla to the bowl, and mix again.

Add crushed up chai tea leaves to the bowl and mix.

Add the flour, baking soda and salt, and mix until fully combined.

Chill the dough for one hour before baking.

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Roll the dough into medium-sized balls of dough and sprinkle sugar on top of them. Bake for 8-12 minutes, wait until they begin turning golden brown.

Let the cookies cool, then combine all glaze ingredients then top with glaze and sprinkle some cinnamon on top.

5. Make a playlist

Of course, you’re going to want to add some Taylor songs on there but also think about adding Taylor adjacent songs (ex. Ex-boyfriends, bestfriends, opening acts, etc). It’ll add some variety to your playlist while still staying on theme. 

6. Play games

It doesn’t have to be Taylor themed because you have a whole party (but it might be fun to have a few). Again, Pinterest has a lot of fun ideas for games, so I encourage you to make a board. 

Anna Schultz-Girl And Guy Playing Beer Pong
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

These are just a few ideas I’m using for my birthday party. Remember, this is supposed to be fun so include Taylor any way you want. You could also make some Taylor TikTok’s and transitions showing off your outfits if you want! Just because you’re not at the Era’s tour doesn’t mean you can’t still dress up and have fun!

Emily Barber

Virginia Tech '23

I am a senior at Virginia Tech majoring in English and Creative Writing. If I'm not reading a book, I'm usually crocheting or tending to my plants.