How to Survive a Group Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

When the professor reads the syllabus on the first day of class, you hear two words that make your heart skip a beat, group project. Yes! You think to yourself, at least I won’t have to present a project to the class by myself. This project should be as easy as a piece of cheesecake from Owens.

Fast forward weeks into the semester.

Your group is in shambles. Your group “leader” is a Nazi. You can’t figure out how to use Microsoft Excel and you have a cough that’s comparable to a dying bear. Now the words group project make you want to hide in a corner till after the project’s due date.

I’m here to help. Or at least present ideas on how you can survive a group project without strangling your group members.

Procrastination Assassination
Trust me, when I say I’m the queen bee of procrastination. I’d say procrastination is my middle name, but it goes without saying. I mean it is on my birth certificate. My go-to line is “I mean I do work better under pressure. It’s more fun that way.” I’m here to tell you, that’s bullsh*t. I’m calling my own bluff. Before you’re sitting in the Empo at 4a.m. with two empty Red Bull’s on your desk, I’d suggest meeting a few days after you hear about the project. Don’t underestimate the amount of time you need to complete a huge paper or massive presentation, take things into your own hands and start the project early. I know, I know, it’s easier said than done, but at least give it a try.

The Adolf
The more you stare at this group member, the more you start to see a resemblance to Mussolini. I
mean they’ve both got the whole frown-y face going on. If one of your group members decides to take the dictator role, I’d say captain we have a problem. Abort, abort, abort. Before this so-called “group leader” takes over the project, make it a point to give each member of the group an important role. Assign someone to edit the paper, assign someone to print it, assign someone as mediator, hell, even assign someone honorary coffee provider. One mistake many groups make is letting a member assume the position of “group leader.” Don’t have a group leader, but let each member of the group have their own specific role and responsibility within the group. Failure to do so and you might have your very own Hitler, complete with ‘stache and all.

Would you like a side of beef with that?
Screamfest 2012 has just occurred in Newman and you’re pretty sure if Jerry Springer was filming, someone would be yelling, “Hit ‘em with the chair!” in the background. Your group members are not
getting along. I get it. You throw a few random people together and you’re all going to have different personalities. What I call “beef” or having an issue with someone is going to occur. Preventing conflict is one of the most important aspects of a group project. Being in a group project requires working together, communicating ideas, making compromises and discussing conflicts as a team. Stay as open to another member’s ideas as possible and don’t let Screamfest 2012 occur. It’ll be embarrassing and Jerry Springer won’t be videotaping, so what’s the point?

Talk the Talk
Issues are going to arise and the only way to resolve them is to do this little thing called, talk. Maybe you’ve heard of it before? Being in a group project involves communication and the ability to form sentences and use them to your advantage. Groundbreaking stuff, right? If you have an issue with the paper, presentation, or even a group member talk it out. It’s the only reasonable way to solve an issue before it gets blown out of proportion.

Photo Credit:http://memegenerator.net/instance/18993300?urlName=Successful-Hitler&browsingOrder=New&browsingTimeSpan=AllTime
http://www.speakeasystage.com/_photos/jerry_hi_5.jpg

Caitlin is a senior Professional Writing major. Besides Her Campus, she is the Internal Social Chairwoman for Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. She loves the beach, animals, shopping, yoga, and Hokie football!