How to Beat the Blacksburg Plague

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

We’ve all experienced it and we all dread it. It’s those two words that you never want to hear, because once you do, you’re going to catch it — the Blacksburg Plague. As a freshman last year I thought it was a joke, but believe me, this is no laughing matter. Everyone catches it sooner or later, so here are my tips for how to survive it.

1. Eat your vegetables

You have to give your body the nutrients it needs so your immune system can stay strong. Eat plenty of vitamin-rich vegetables. You can also throw in a multivitamin or immune booster for good measure. My favorite way to get veggies while sick is in a nice, warm vegetable soup. The ones at ABP and West End are both delish!

2. Sleep

Now is not the time to pull an all-nighter or stay out late with friends. Your body needs extra rest so it can work hard to fight off your cold. Try having a movie night instead of going out. Don’t hesitate to go to bed early or throw in an afternoon nap — your immune system will thank you.

3. Drink something hot

A nice warm cup of tea, coffee or hot chocolate will warm you up and give you a little energy boost to keep you going. If you have a sore throat, try adding some honey to your tea; it will help soothe your throat and calm down your cough. Don’t forget to drink plenty of water as well!

4. Hit up the medicine cabinet

There are plenty of over-the-counter medications that can help ease the symptoms of a cold. Decongestants can help stop sniffling and ibuprofen can help with body aches and reduce fevers. Saline nasal sprays can help clear out your nose.

5. Head over to Schiffert

If it’s been a week and you’re not feeling any better, go ahead and make an appointment with Schiffert. They’ll check you out and decide what needs to be done to get you feeling better! Plus, if you’re too sick to attend class, they can provide a note for your professors.

Hopefully these tips will help everyone during Blacksburg Plague season. Stay healthy Hokies!

Image sources: Credit to Giphy.com

Fashion Merchandising and Design at Virginia Tech. Class of 2019.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!