This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

It is well known that every year during relay, luminarias spelling out  “HOPE” are placed on the steps of Burruss Hall. This year, the  luminaria ceremony at Virginia Tech’s Relay for Life was even more  touching than usual, because of the dedication of each letter of  “HOPE” to a Hokie who has fought or is currently fighting cancer.

The “H” was dedicated in memory of Cadet Signal Corporal Joshua Lee  Lilliston, who passed away on October 30, 2011. The “O” was dedicated  in memory of Megan Luck Goellner, a member of Chi Omega, who passed  away on February 25, 2012. The “P” was dedicated in memory of Dennis  Lee Hundley, who graduated from Tech at a ceremony in the Intensive  Care Unit at Mary Washington Hospital, and then passed away two days  later on December 17, 2011. The “E” was dedicated in honor of Dr.  Edward Spencer, Virginia Tech?s Vice President of Student Affairs.

Caitlin is a senior Professional Writing major. Besides Her Campus, she is the Internal Social Chairwoman for Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. She loves the beach, animals, shopping, yoga, and Hokie football!