This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I grew up in South Carolina where the majority of my friends went to USC or Clemson and others went to smaller schools to play sports. Not a single person from my high school went to Virginia Tech, and I came to Blacksburg not knowing anyone. I had chosen a large school and I was scared to death. I knew when I first stepped into West Ambler Johnston (West AJ or WAJ) and saw Lane Stadium out of my dorm room window that I had made the right decision to come to Tech.

It’s no secret that Virginia Tech’s large campus and student body can seem scary at times. My first day of freshman year, I felt completely lost. I didn’t know where anything was. I got lost on my first, second, and third days of class. I was so overwhelmed. All of the buildings looked the same, and I felt like I was just walking in circles. Not only was getting around confusing, but it was intimidating to look around and see thousands of people that I did not know. There is good news though! There are ways to make campus feel homier; it just requires some effort.

1)  Cling to the girls (and guys too!) that you meet on your hall. Most of the people you meet in your first couple of weeks at Tech are the people that you will keep in touch with for the remainder of your time here. If you’re a freshman, just remember that they are experiencing the same thing, and it’s nice to have friends who understand what you’re going through. However, don’t think that you only have to hang out with people from your hall. Keep in touch with your high school friends if they go here, and don’t be afraid to meet new people and hang out with them; it’s okay to have different groups of friends—spread it around a little!

2) Meet people in your classes—don’t be afraid to sit down next to someone and introduce yourself. You may feel awkward, but I promise they won’t find it creepy. It’s awesome to have people in your classes that you can study with or text if you need a question answered.

3) Actually eat in the dining halls with friends instead of just taking food back to your dorm—it gives you a chance to get closer to your friends, to invite new people to lunch/dinner, and to see other people you know. Good luck finding a table at West End!

4) Call your parents, but not too much. Calling your parents can be just the thing to make you feel reassured and safe, but don’t call them for every little thing. Relying on your parents instead of yourself and your new friends can cause you to become more homesick and you won’t adjust as well.

5) Join a club, play a sport, GET OUT OF THE DORM! I feel like this one is self explanatory.

6) Take time to keep in touch with people from home. Telling your old friends about all your new friends and new experiences is a good way to reconnect with home.

7) Don’t be afraid to tell your roommate things that she is doing that you don’t like. You don’t have to tell them every little annoying thing they do, but it’s important to communicate. People come from different environments so your roommate might be used to playing music all day long while you’re not. She might not even think it’s annoying unless you say something.

8) Don’t forget that eventually you’ll get used to things, and even upperclassmen still feel a little lost sometimes.

Caitlin is a senior Professional Writing major. Besides Her Campus, she is the Internal Social Chairwoman for Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. She loves the beach, animals, shopping, yoga, and Hokie football!