This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

As the holidays are coming around, it’s important to keep some tips in mind if you are planning to travel! During this time of year, it can be a struggle to find good deals without having to pay high prices. If you are like me, traveling on a budget is the way to go. Here are some tips I have put together based on my experiences:

Use different resources to find the best flight deals

Google Flights: “Track Flight” is a smart way to keep your eye on prices if you are not planning to immediately buy a ticket 

Hopper App: Monitors and predicts prices for flights and hotels up to 1 year in advance and has a 95% accuracy

Kayak: If you’re not sure where you want to travel to exactly, you can put in your preferred dates and put the destination as “anywhere” and the server will find the cheapest places to go 

Skyscanner: Compares the cheapest flights, hotels, and car hires with different companies 

Hotels vs. Alternative Accommodations

Booking hotels might not always be the smartest option, instead, look into booking an Airbnb or hostel to save money! 

If you arere uncomfortable sharing a room with others in a hostel, there are options to book a private or double room! Just make sure to read the reviews for location, bed bugs, and value. 

Airbnb’s are generally much cheaper than hotels and provide everything you need: a place to sleep, a kitchen or parking (sometimes), bathroom and shower. The host is always a message away to make sure you’re having a lovely stay and getting all the information you need!

Remember to pack light!

This one may seem like common sense, but a lot of people still over pack (I can be a victim of this one too). I understand we all want to look good for the holidays, but remember, the more you pack, the more baggage allowance you might have to pay for! 

Hidden costs with budget airlines

If you booked a good deal with a budget airline such as Ryanair or EasyJet, keep in mind that they usually have hidden costs to make you pay more! 

Budget airlines usually have a one bag policy and are very strict about bending this rule. If you decide to risk it, you might be charged anywhere from $30-60 for an extra bag, don’t be that person. You have been warned!

Hopefully one of these tips will help you out during the holiday season. It can definitely be stressful this time of year trying to plan a vacation with your friends or family. If you do your research and make sure to read reviews for every company, you are one step closer to being a planning expert. Happy and safe travels!

Maggie Hwang

Virginia Tech '21

A business information technology major who loves to explore new cafes/cities, do DIY crafts, advocate about self-love, and laugh at my own jokes in my free time!
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.