This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Thanksgiving is supposed to be a time when friends and family gather to celebrate good memories and moments together. But what if all you’ve felt recently is stress and uncertainty? With negative thoughts clouding your mind you might find it hard to find appreciation and feel obliged to put those feelings aside suddenly. However, I would argue that Thanksgiving is the best time to process these feelings,  find light in the little things, and hope for the future.

With a week-long break for Virginia Tech students, Thanksgiving is a great way to step back from the stresses of classes, jobs, and extracurriculars and reflect on what you can do for the remainder of the semester. As a senior, it’ll allow me to reflect on what I have left to check off my bucket list before I graduate in the spring. A few things left are going to Salsa Night at the Milk Parlor, attending Virginia Tech’sspring football game, and hiking McAfee Knob.

I’m looking forward to doing these activities in the near future and it makes me smile.

Another thing Thanksgiving can provide is a chance to catch up or get ahead on schoolwork. Since classes won’t be held for a whole week and most professors won’t assign work due during the break, it’s a great way to complete assignments without the urgency of looming deadlines or the need to work around a schedule. Also, doing homework or studying is a great way to distract yourself from other stressors while being productive.

Lastly, Thanksgiving can be a great way to spend time with those you care about. Whether it’s friends, family, or even pets, there is something undeniable about quality time with loved ones, even if what’s uncertain for you is where life will take you and how your relationship dynamics will shift. The people I care about are something I can always be grateful for.

All in all, Thanksgiving is the perfect opportunity to sit back, relax, do what you love, and enjoy time off, even if it’s just for a week. Whether you believe it or not, you deserve a break and should cherish the time to step away from your usual obligations and activities. Circumstances may make it harder, but it’s the thought of wanting to be grateful that helps, and that’s beautiful.

Sophia Campana

Virginia Tech '23

Sophia is a Virginia Tech Class of '23 graduate with a major in Professional and Technical Writing. In her free time, she enjoys listening to music, attending concerts, reading, doing yoga, playing the guitar, hiking, skateboarding, and traveling.