Career

A Friendly Reminder to Start Your Summer Internship Search

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Spring classes are in full effect, and your summer internship search should be as well! Internships are a great way to get first-hand experience and to learn from industry experts in your field of choice. They are also an amazing way to network by meeting mentors and peers in your prospective field. It is easy to get caught up in exams and homework, but if you haven’t already, start searching for and applying to internships!

As you are looking through various internship opportunities, be sure to carefully read through their descriptions. You can determine if you will be a good fit for the company and would if you would gain useful experience from the work. Do not get discouraged if you do not meet all the qualifications for a certain company or if the deadline for a certain program has already passed. Be optimistic and remind yourself that your hard work matters! Your value is not defined by whether or not you perfectly match up to a particular internship program. 

women on phone and laptop
Pexels

After you have found a few internships you are interested in, take note of their respective deadlines and any requirements they might have. Make sure to keep this information somewhere you’ll remember, such as your planner or spreadsheet. Do not get caught up with schoolwork or another application. You might end up missing an application deadline or scrambling to get last-minute letters of recommendation. 

Finally, remember to update your resume and cover letter! Add on all the great things you’ve accomplished since your last resume update revise your cover letter so it matches your current needs. 

If you arere ever feeling overwhelmed or confused during your internship, talk to an advisor or visit your university’s career center. These resources exist specifically to help you through situations like this! Good luck and happy internship hunting!

\"you got this\" on a letter board
Pexels

Christine Dinh

Virginia Tech '22

A Professional & Technical Writing major and lover of Arrested Development, kittens, and coffee ice cream!
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!