Freshman Year Reflections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

As my freshman year comes to a close, I thought it only fitting to devote this blog to the hits and misses of freshman year. It’s kind of like that saying “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…” Thankfully, the good outweigh the bad, and the bad I’m taking in stride as learning experiences. Since my mind is always going in a million different directions, this blog definitely won’t go in chronological/numerical/order of importance.

Best time #1: I discovered what I really want to do for the rest of my life. Long story short, all throughout high school, I wanted to be a journalist. It was my thing; I loved being heavily involved with my high school newspaper and was (and still am) a total journalism nerd. That being said, it was a surprise to my family (and myself) that I switched to business before fall semester. I was on the whole “I want a job” track, totally disregarding that I’d have to sit in a class learning about business information systems at 8 A.M…

Best time #2:
I joined a sorority/ got involved on campus. Getting involved was and still is a major priority for me, especially on a campus as large as Tech’s. During the fall semester, I joined HerCampus (clearly an awesome decision). It was slightly intimidating at first, since I was the youngest one on staff and I’m typically pretty quiet. I can type away and write like it’s nobody’s business, though. Then, during spring semester, I endured a grueling and freezing cold week of sorority recruitment. I know it’s not for everybody, but I could not be happier to call myself a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. I have wanted to call myself an ADPi sister ever since I’ve heard stories from my mom about it. So far, it’s everything I’ve wanted it to be and more. I can see so many of my sisters becoming lifelong friends/bridesmaids. Aside from that cheesiness, I recently had the opportunity to be involved with my sorority’s philanthropy, Ronald McDonald House. Sororities are all about sisterhood, loyalty, and lifelong friendship; but they also hold a much deeper meaning that I’ve recently been exposed to.

Best time #3:
I’m going to sum this one up and say that I took advantage of all Tech and Blacksburg have to offer. I went to almost every home football game, ate my weight in food at D2, found my favorite meal at West End, had a homework picnic on the Drill Field, honored the 32 at the Run in Remembrance, and hung out DT during the day (I’m sure it’s far better at night- that’ll be my junior and senior year). Let’s just say that I laugh at the VT Memes and #whatshouldwecallme Tumblr because I get it. Now that I’ve been here for a year, I can understand the inside jokes only other Hokies know. That’s a pretty cool feeling. This surely isn’t an extensive list, and isn’t everything I can do at Tech, but I feel like I did as much as I could in two semesters and look forward to my upcoming semesters.

Worst time #1: When I think back on the worst times I’ve had at Tech, walking across the Drill Field in any kind of inclement weather really takes the cake. Walking around in general in inclement weather is no fun, actually. Call me a baby, but on a campus as sprawling as Tech’s being comfortable while walking is a must. And it’s not to say I wasn’t prepared; I had rubber rain boots, snow boots, hats, gloves, rain jackets, 3-4 North Faces- the whole shebang. It wasn’t enough. I dreaded walking across the Drill Field on those nasty Bleaksburg days.
Worst time #2: Lofting my bed. I thought I was saving space. Incoming freshman, take my advice and DO NOT loft your bed. Trust me, there are so many other ways to organize the room that do not involve your head hitting the ceiling every time you wake up in the middle of the night or using your desk at a step stool. I didn’t think it was gross at the beginning of the year, but it is kind of weird to work on a desk my feet have been all over. Good thing I realized that at the end of the year, huh? Thank goodness for apartment living next year!
Worst time #3: Not having a random roommate. Another word of advice to incoming freshman: let
things be out of your control for once, and allow for random roommate matching. I honestly don’t know one person who’s absolutely in love with their roommate, but if you’re one of those people, I’m happy for you. Really, though, you don’t know someone until you’re forced to live in a 9 x 15 cinderblock walled room with him or her. I’m not trying to make it sound like a prison, I swear. That’s all I have to say on that topic.

Making this list was a lot of fun. It gave me the chance to reminisce and see the person I’ve become after a year at college. I’ve changed, (hopefully for the better) and learned so much about people. I think that’s the great thing about getting older, learning about people and life in general. I don’t regret anything about this year, and am proud of the person I’ve become and the work I’ve done. I’ve set an extensive list of goals for myself and look forward to checking each goal off my list. So, here’s to my last week at Tech, and the next three I have. Goals for this week include: doing well on finals, going to Frosty Parrot at least once, and fitting everything back into my car.

Megan is a sophomore at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia. She is pursuing her B.A. in Communications with a concentration in Multimedia Journalism as well as a B.A. in Spanish Language. She is also pursuing a minor in Creative Writing. Megan updates her personal blog daily, and had a weekly blog as a Contributing Blogger for Her Campus Virginia Tech during her freshman year. As a dedicated member of Alpha Delta Pi sorority, Megan serves as the official blogger. Megan's interest in journalism began with her involvement with her high school's newspaper; where she served as an assistant section editor and a section editor her sophomore and junior years. She was the managing editor her senior year. In her free time, Megan enjoys running and competing in races, reading on her Kindle, and taking photos. 
Caitlin is a senior Professional Writing major. Besides Her Campus, she is the Internal Social Chairwoman for Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. She loves the beach, animals, shopping, yoga, and Hokie football!