Life > Experiences

Five Things To Do as the Weather Gets Warmer in Blacksburg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Despite Blacksburg weather having a knack for being so unpredictable, it finally seems as if the weather is looking up. With the sun out and the breeze blowing, everyone wants to be out and about, but some may not know exactly what to do. Well, look no further because here are five fun things to do with your friends to make the most of the sunshine.

Go Hiking

Tucked into the mountains and surrounded by lush greenery and nature, Virginia Tech has the perfect proximity to gorgeous hiking excursions. Cascade Falls is a popular location and for a good reason. Located in Pembroke, a decent 40-minute drive from Blacksburg, the scenic four-mile trail leads to a gorgeous 69-foot waterfall. Perfect for beginners and experienced hikers, this trail provides the perfect outing to pair with the bright weather. For a closer and more laid-back hike, Huckleberry Trail is just a five-minute drive from campus and includes some beautiful views. So grab some friends, throw on a cute athleisure set, have a water bottle, some snacks, sunscreen, and bug spray ready, and you’re all good to go.

Hahn Horticulture Garden

A personal favorite campus spot of mine, Hahn Horticulture Garden is the ideal spot to relax and unwind. Tucked towards the edge of campus near McComas Hall, the garden is fitted with a gazebo, a koi pond, bench seating, and of course, some gorgeous greenery. Head up to the garden for the perfect spot to read a book, sunbathe, watch the fish, or catch up with some friends.

Have a Picnic

What’s a better way to enjoy the nice weather than by eating good food in good company? So many places on campus are perfect for a picnic on a bright, sunny day. Head to the Drillfield for an airy and open spot at the center of campus, or the courtyard behind Price Hall for a more secluded and cozy location. The Hahn Horticulture Garden is also a great spot, with patches of open grass nestled amongst viridian foliage and koi fish. A picnic is a perfect excuse to wear a fun sundress, eat your favorite foods, take cute pictures, and soak up the summer’s goodness.

Get some ice cream

Every weather’s ice cream weather, but this becomes even more true as soon as the temperature hits 70°. Sugar Magnolia is one of my favorite ice cream places on campus, located downtown. With an assortment of different flavors and other food options like chocolate-covered pretzels, it’s easily my go-to place for a sweet treat on a warm summer day. The cute gift shop in the store is also an added bonus, allowing you to shop while eating. It’s also fun to grab your ice cream and take a walk through downtown, exploring the various shops sprinkled on the strip. For ice cream on-campus, head over to Deet’s for delicious waffle cones and milkshakes, and take advantage of the newly built outdoor seating.

Go hammocking

My absolute favorite summer activity, hammocking is a great way to let loose and relax in the summer sun. The Drillfield is a popular spot, with the trees providing a great place for hammocks to be tied to, as is the horticulture garden. The trees in the recreational area in front of Hoge Hall are also ideal places for hammocks, and hammock stands behind Squires offer a more private spot to relax. Whether you want to unwind by reading a good book, listening to music, or taking a nap, turn it into a fun summer activity by grabbing a hammock and heading to a place of your choosing.

So whether you’re looking for ways to make the most of the sunny Blacksburg weather or just ways to get out of your room and explore campus, these activities provide the perfect opportunity to do that. So gather your friends, pick one of these fun things to try, and have a great time.

Shraddha Thanneeru

Virginia Tech '27

My name is Shraddha Thanneeru and I am a freshman from Ashburn, VA studying architecture! Apart from writing, I love oil painting, listening to The Weeknd, drinking smoothies and going on long walks.