A little boy and girl with arms around each other at the beach
Alexandra Brooks
Wellness

Everything My Younger Sibling Has Taught Me About Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

To my Younger Sibling,

My life changed forever when you came along. For two and a half years it was just me and our parents going through life with the final piece of the puzzle that was our family missing. But when you came into this world, our puzzle was finally completed. Since the day you were born you have changed my life for the better, bringing me so much laughter and happiness with your infectious laugh and hilarious sense of humor as well as teaching me valuable lessons about love, friendships, and life.

brother and sister walking towards graduation
Alexandra Brooks

As time has passed, I have had the joy of watching you grow up and mature before my very eyes; and with it, learn not only through my own life experiences but vicariously through yours. You taught me that it is more important to do something you love rather than suffer through the pain of doing something you hate. Watching you do your favorite things after all these years has shown me that in order for me to be the happiest I can be, I need to follow my dreams and do the things I love the most. Whether it be spending time with the people I care about or jamming out to my favorite tunes in my car, you taught me to make the most of these experiences by ensuring that no matter what, I always surround myself with love, and not hate.

Smiling at the camera at the ice rink
Alexandra Brooks

Hate is a very powerful emotion that can envelop a person in its cloud of poisonous thoughts and toxic comments. You, however, taught me that instead of holding onto the hatred that can boil up inside me, to channel it into something else until ultimately it fizzles out and I can move on. It is possible that you are the nicest human being I’ve ever known; you are always kind to the people you meet and you never let what others think or say about you tear you down. It is truly amazing seeing these qualities within you; after watching you grow up and still never stray away from these characteristics, I try every day to be a little bit more like you by being kind to people (even if they don’t deserve it).

Hugging hockey player
Alexandra Brooks

But the most important thing that you have taught me is to make the most of my life. To enjoy the little things and not take life so seriously. To go out on a whim, take a risk, make a change, it doesn’t matter because life is too short to not take advantage of every single moment we have. People will come and go from your life but one thing will always stay the same: you and I. I know that with you in my corner, I can accomplish anything. I can be a little bit kinder to others and let loose when the time is right or enjoy a weekly ice cream cheat day because life is too short to be stressed out all the time. I don’t remember much about life before you came around but one thing is for certain, I wouldn’t be the person I am today without you. You have forever changed me and my life, and for that, I thank you.

Love,

Your Older Sibling

Photos credited to the author

Alexandra Brooks

Virginia Tech '22

Alexandra is a senior at Virginia Tech studying Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience with a minor in Political Science. A 5'2-ish Canadian-American who will stop whatever she is doing to go pet a dog, Alexandra chooses to live everyday by the motto, "Just be yourself." When not stressing out over her major or writing for Her Campus, Alexandra can be found working out, reading, listening to music, and hanging out with her friends and family.
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.