Everyday Eco-Friendly Products that Won’t Break the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Being eco-friendly does not have to cost as much as out-of-state tuition and it does not require the glamorous lifestyle that some influencers claim to have. In fact, it is a lot less intimidating thank you think. All it takes is a quick trip to your local grocery store, or maybe a search on the Internet if your store does not carry these products.

Reusable grocery bags

Every minute, an estimated 2 million single-use plastic bags are handed out at checkout counters around the world. Instead of using dull, brown plastic, opt for reusable ones when stocking up on your fruits and veggies. They are typically made of cotton or mesh and will be twice as durable. Say goodbye to the constant fear of your bag ripping at the worst time! The best part? They don’t come with the excessive guilt of throwing away single-use plastic.

Shampoo and conditioner bars

At a fraction of the size of shampoo and conditioner bottles, they are perfect for traveling or for when your bathroom space is limited. While these are great to limit your carbon footprint, remember they are not one-size-fits-all! Do your research; try to avoid certain sulfates, parabens, and fragrances. A simple Google search will provide plenty of time-saving apps and websites that will check ingredients for you.

Mason jars

These are my favorite way of storing things! My roommates can definitely attest to the fact given the excessive jars sitting in our pantry. They are airtight and ensure the freshness of your groceries. While I know Blacksburg does not have a bulk grocery store, try taking advantage of Kroger’s bulk dry goods. Stock up on nuts, dried fruits, and grains next time you are out shopping. Just remember to weigh your container beforehand!

Anne-Marie at Zero Waste Chef believes, “We don’t need a handful of people doing zero waste perfectly, we need millions of people doing it imperfectly.” Your impact, regardless of its size, is appreciated. Besides, life is so much better with fewer trips to the garbage can.

Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!