Drink Recipes for Summer: 21+

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Mojito Popsicle—Minty Fresh!

Ingredients
2 ounces of clear rum           
4 ounces of  lime juice                       
1 cup of water
1 cup of white granulated sugar
6 ounces of soda water
Bunch of mint sprigs

Directions
Combine 1 cup of boiling water and sugar in a mixing bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves, then allow to cool to room temperature.

Once cooled, pour the water/sugar mixture into a blender and add the lime juice, rum, soda water and mint, pulsing to create a blended mixture of all ingredients. Don’t over blend to the point where the texture of the mint disappears.

Pour the blender contents into your popsicle molds. Garnish with extra lime wheels or mint sprigs to give them a pop of color and freeze for 6 to 8 hours before serving. 

[pagebreak]

4th of July Vodka Lemonade—Fruity Fireworks!

Ingredients
1 gallon of water
5 whole lemons
1 basket of blueberries
1 basket of raspberries
Ice
1 cup of white granulated sugar

Directions
Thinly slice the lemons and add them to the gallon of water. Stir in the sugar and continue to stir until the sugar dissolves.  

Let the water, sugar and lemon mixture rest at room temperature for 2 hours and then add the blueberries and raspberries. Gently stir to combine the mixture, but be sure not crush the berries.

Once stirred, place in the refrigerator to chill. Just before serving add ice. 

To make this a cocktail, simply add 1 ounce of vodka to every 4 ounces of lemonade.

[pagebreak]

Mocha Mudslide Popsicle—Slides down easy!

Ingredients
6 ounces of heavy whipping cream
1 ounce of vodka
1 ounce of coffee
1 ounce of chocolate milk
Cocoa powder
2 tablespoons Kahlua(optional—but not really!)

Directions
Add the vodka, coffee and chocolate milk to a bowl and stir until all the ingredients are blended together to create a dark brown liquid. Next, fill each popsicle mold half way with the cocktail mixture and freeze for 4 hours. 

Once frozen combine the heavy whipping creamand powdered chocolate to a bowl and mix until they are blended to form a light brown color (for added punch add 2 tablespoons of Kahlua to the blend.) Then top off each popsicle mold with the blend, creating a 2-tone popsicle effect. 

Freeze for an additional 4 to 6 hours before serving.

Alternatively, if time is not on your side, blend all the contents together in a blender on low speed for 30 seconds before pouring it into each popsicle mold. Freeze for 8 to 10 hours.

[pagebreak]

Cucumber Ginger Spritzer—Cool as a…

Ingredients
6 ounces premium vodka
1 cucumber, preferably English
Juice of 1 lime
1 bottle club soda
1/2 cup ginger syrup, recipe to follow

Directions
Peel and coarsely chop half the cucumber. In a nonreactive container combine cucumber with vodka, and chill for at least 1 hour. Once chilled, strain the vodka and discard the cucumber.

Using a vegetable peeler, slice long strips of the remaining half of the cucumber and remove all seeds.

Fill 4 to 5 tumblers with ice, adding 2 or 3 cucumber slices to each. Add 1 tablespoon of limejuice and ginger syrup* to each tumbler. Stir in 3 tablespoons of cucumber vodka and top it off with club soda.

Serves 4

*To Make Ginger Syrup:
Bring equal parts sugar and water to a gentle boil in a small saucepan. Stir mixture constantly until sugar has fully dissolved, about 3 minutes.
Add 6 to 8 thin slices of ginger to simple syrup and reduce heat to a simmer. Let steep for at least 20 minutes and remove from heat.
Strain syrup into heatproof container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

Recipes taken directly from sources listed below.

Sources:

http://www.celebrations.com/content/mocha-mudslide-popsicle-recipe

http://www.celebrations.com/content/red-white-and-blue-lemonade

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1O9vDV/:1W!50tXBx:c.CBV91+/www.celebration…

http://www.celebrations.com/content/mojito-popsicle-cocktail-recipe

Laura Baugh

Virginia Tech

Laura Baugh is a senior at Virginia Tech where she is double majoring in Communications and Film. When not busy with school, Laura enjoys editing film and video, being the general manager at VTTV, spending time with her amazing sisters in Gamma Phi Beta, playing her guitar, and reading Her Campus! She is also obsessed with her school's athletics. Go Hokies!