This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Raise your hand if you are guilty of impulse buying trendy items from TikTok, if you were here right now, you’d see that I am raising my hand. It is super easy to get suckered into buying things that our favorite influencers have shared; however, I think it is even easier to forget that many of those posts are sponsored. Many times, the products they are gushing over are not their personal favorites, but rather the result of sponsorship. Companies know that if a trendy influencer showcases their product, the masses will buy them — and it works. Think about the times you’ve been to Target or Ulta to grab something you’ve seen on TikTok and the shelves were empty. I’m guilty of more of these trips than I’d like to admit.

Now think about how many times you’ve purchased one of these products, got it home to try out, and then immediately realized it was a waste of money. While I have been happy with a handful of these buys, more times than not I am sorely disappointed. This is not to say that you should feel bad for purchasing anything you’ve seen on TikTok or Instagram, but if you want to save some money this article is for you. Let’s talk about 5 trendy products and cheaper alternatives that are more bang for your buck.

1. The Bubble Headband

If you’ve seen any makeup videos recently, you’ve probably seen the big bubble headband everyone wears. While it’s cute and on-trend, it’s also $15 to $20. Though you may get some use out of it, there is nothing inherently special about the headband. It is just a headband, and there are so many other options that you could buy that will save you money (and potentially last longer). It may look cute now, but ask yourself whether it will still bring you joy in the next three months. If the answer is no, I’d say pass on this item and invest your money elsewhere.

2. Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk

This one may be controversial, but you don’t need this lip combo. Whether it be the lip liner or the lipstick, it’s just a waste of money. Personally, I have both and neither was worth the $30; I tried to buy the mini versions to save myself some money, but still ended up disappointed. I think the shade is the perfect your-lips-but-better, however, you can find the same product in a cheaper package. If you want Pillow Talk without the Charlotte Tilbury price, you should check out NYX “peekaboo,” which goes for about $5.

3. Laneige Lip Mask

I will be the first to say that I used to swear by this product. A couple of years ago, I received this in a Sephora birthday gift set, and I loved it. I still have a bit of it left and use it occasionally, but I’ve found that I cannot bring myself to spend $25 on a new one. Hence why I’ve been using it sparingly. I think there are better options out there as opposed to Laneige, not to mention, I’ve found that the pot packaging is inconvenient; it can get messy. So, if you want the same results but for a fraction of the price, I’d suggest a tube of Aquaphor or Vaseline. You absolutely do not need to spend almost $30 for soft lips.

4. The Stanley Cup

As much as I love a steel cup, you don’t need this one. I think of the Stanley as I think of Hydroflasks; it’s a nice cup, but something else will replace it soon. A couple of years ago, Hydroflasks were all the rage and now Stanleys have replaced them. While I think it is a good cup, I know there are other options for much less. I personally have a Yak! that I bought from Target for $8 and it works just as well. I know the appeal is that it fits in your cup holders, but let’s be real, it’s just another cup. If you already have something similar, I’d suggest skipping out on buying another cup that will probably just sit in the cabinet.

5. Any Dior Makeup

Dior’s makeup line has been all over TikTok recently, and even though it comes in pretty packaging, it isn’t worth the hype. It truly does not matter which product is being promoted, none of them are worth $50. There are so many alternatives that will work better and stay in your rotation longer. I’d suggest checking the drugstore for a dupe before spending your money on Dior.

Though I will not claim to have come up with the idea of de-influencing, I will support it wholeheartedly. I think in a world run on consumerism, it is good to remember that we are constantly spoon-fed products. Not everything we see on our for you page is an accurate review nor do we need to purchase something just because it’s been supported by our favorite influencer.

Leah Copeland

Virginia Tech '24

Leah is a senior at Virginia Tech. She is studying Political Science and English with a minor in Women and Gender Studies.